website statistics

Artistic Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Gianlu33 said:

Very nice routine from Greece, with an incredible blind jump on the formation. Second place for them, but very close to Spain.

And yet they aren’t near a safe spot for the final.

Unlike previous Olympic process, this one will be very hard for some countries.

11 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

As expected, Italy is completely incapable in the lifts. In a good routine, we managed to limit the damage at least with a very good routine...

I expected better having Giorgio in the team!

I really hope we can qualify the team, but I know it will be extremely difficult. Still, it's good to see we seem to be on the right path.

It is especially important for us because Tokyo was the first time we qualified since 2004, and our girls didn't even get to compete because of multiple positive COVID cases in the team. They were really young too, so it was important to make it in 2024 so they would get the chance. Unfortunately, the team now has mostly new girls. Of the 9 girls from Tokyo, only 3 are still with us, and one is Platanioti who has already competed at the Olympics 3x (and will be a part of the duet for Paris assuming we qualify at least for that).

Papazoglou was dropped from the national team after 2021, but she at least got to go to Rio (duet) and competed in the duet preliminary in Tokyo so I don't feel as bad (though she was very offended when the national team dumped her). Karamesiou and Vasilopoulou were also dropped after 2021, even though they were just teenagers they basically had to end their careers. Then Misikevych was dropped after 2022, also a teenager. Then after 2023, another two teenagers were dropped (Fragkaki and Gialama) and afterwards they spoke out about how they were mistreated by the federation etc.

So really it is a messy situation, and even if we make it, it will be mostly new girls so qualification won't really feel like the "redemption" we hoped for...

Also I do have hope that some of the girls who were kicked off the team will eventually come back.

Alzigkouzi was part of our national team at Worlds in 2013 and 2015, then disappeared for a few years and came back for 2020 Olympic qualification and is now still with the team at age 28.

Malkogeorgou was on our team at Worlds in 2015 and 2017, then was MIA and came back in 2022 not only for the team but also to be part of the duet.

Aside from them and 21 yo Kariori (who was part of the Tokyo team), only Platanioti is also not a teenager.