website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

What do you guys is the fair price for a participation medal from a major multi-sports games (not Olympics or YOG)? I have my eyes on one, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. It seems like a really cool piece of history to own, so I’m just curious what y’all think. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

54 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What do you guys is the fair price for a participation medal from a major multi-sports games (not Olympics or YOG)? I have my eyes on one, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. It seems like a really cool piece of history to own, so I’m just curious what y’all think. 

50-100 dollars.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

50-100 dollars.

So 65 is fair then, but the $15 shipping is an pain in the ass. I might try an offer $50 and see if they bite. Thanks.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So 65 is fair then, but the $15 shipping is an pain in the ass. I might try an offer $50 and see if they bite. Thanks.

It'd be cool indeed, although I can't really get why athletes sell these things. Personally things like participation medals only have value for me if I've actually earned it myself, for example my half marathon debut's participation medal of last year that's hanging behind me :p 

Although I'm just gonna put my hopes on a free Olympic participation medal in a couple of years :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It'd be cool indeed, although I can't really get why athletes sell these things. Personally things like participation medals only have value for me if I've actually earned it myself, for example my half marathon debut's participation medal of last year that's hanging behind me :p 

Although I'm just gonna put my hopes on a free Olympic participation medal in a couple of years :evil:

Of course, but it’s a cool piece of history to own too. The majority of them I see for sale (generally 1-5 a year) come from Eastern European athletes who need the money, or from people who bought them from athletes and realized their weren’t “real” medals (as in gold, silver, bronze). 

It’s a little known fact that media generally receive medals for their work at these events. I don’t think the World Games award them, but it would be nice if they did in 2022. @Vojthas should be able to pick up one in 2023 (unless Poland is cheap, and well...I won’t comment further on that :p) assuming Totallympics Media is still around (and I don’t see what it shouldn’t be).

Looking for something on Google I found an article with the date of 2nd December 2020 (that's how it was written - with the month in letters). Surprised I started wondering, what will happen in the future. Click on it and see something I've already seen somewhere in February. Looked at the date on the website - 12/2/2020.

FUCK YOU, 'MURICA!!!

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Of course, but it’s a cool piece of history to own too. The majority of them I see for sale (generally 1-5 a year) come from Eastern European athletes who need the money, or from people who bought them from athletes and realized their weren’t “real” medals (as in gold, silver, bronze). 

Damn, people are so dumb.

10 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Looking for something on Google I found an article with the date of 2nd December 2020 (that's how it was written - with the month in letters). Surprised I started wondering, what will happen in the future. Click on it and see something I've already seen somewhere in February. Looked at the date on the website - 12/2/2020.

FUCK YOU, 'MURICA!!!

I dislike many things about my country, but you know I will defend our date system until my last breath!

11 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

FUCK YOU, 'MURICA!!!

What’s better is when I’m looking at a date for the European Games or Asian Games, and I think “wow! Belarus’s calendar has 30 months!”