website statistics

Swimming WA World Cup 2023

Totallympics

WA Swimming World Cup starts next month, with three stops. October 6-8 in Berlin, Germany, October 13-15 in Athens, Greece, and October 20-22 in Budapest, Hungary. 

All sessions will be live streamed on the World Aquatics YouTube channel :cheer:

I think we could have predicted this one.

World Aquatics’ plans to debut a new open category for transgender athletes at this week’s swimming World Cup in Berlin have been cancelled after no entries were received.

Swimming’s governing body, which last year voted to ban transgender women from the elite female category, had promised to stage the “pioneering pilot project” to promote its “unwavering commitment to inclusivity, welcoming swimmers of all sex and gender identities”.

Swimming World Cup category for transgender athletes cancelled after no entries received (msn.com)

5 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I think we could have predicted this one.

World Aquatics’ plans to debut a new open category for transgender athletes at this week’s swimming World Cup in Berlin have been cancelled after no entries were received.

Swimming’s governing body, which last year voted to ban transgender women from the elite female category, had promised to stage the “pioneering pilot project” to promote its “unwavering commitment to inclusivity, welcoming swimmers of all sex and gender identities”.

Swimming World Cup category for transgender athletes cancelled after no entries received (msn.com)

I think that is known as "testing an idea to destruction".

What it probably does is give FINA/WA a much stronger case in the event of court action - they can show they 'bent over backwards' to find a viable compromise and the group of athletes in question were simply not interested in anything but inclusion on their own terms.

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I think that is known as "testing an idea to destruction".

What it probably does is give FINA/WA a much stronger case in the event of court action - they can show they 'bent over backwards' to find a viable compromise and the group of athletes in question were simply not interested in anything but inclusion on their own terms.

One of the lobby's arguments is that they "just want to do the sport they love".  Well...

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

One of the lobby's arguments is that they "just want to do the sport they love".  Well...

I think, in fairness, replacing the Male/Men's class with an open class, rather than adding a third class, would have, perhaps, been more realistic, but at this stage I don't get the impression the 'lobby' are interested in rational discussion, perhaps because it increasingly isn't working out well for them when such discussions occur. Even if the route I propose had been taken, I'm far from convinced any T competitors would have taken, or been qualified to take, that route.

You are quite right, though, that it fatally undermines the "we only want to compete" line - it's clearly not the motivation given this bizarre episode (I mean, you could set up a world cup race, with prize money, for the most obscure class imaginable - "people called Darren with bald heads, beards and tattoos only", and a few guys would turn up to make a buck. No entries AT ALL, from the entire world is..something.

In marathon running, there does seem to be some uptake in a specifically "non-binary" class, especially where there is some prize money. But I note, even there, the fields are tiny, and predominantly biologically males running pretty mediocre times. Honestly, not really sure how long that class will last under those conditions.

2023 Swimming World Cup Berlin - Day 1 Results

Since no one's posted yet.

Women's 400m Freestyle:

1. :NZL Erika Fairweather - 4:01.09 (WC Record, OQT)

2. :AUS Lani Pallister - 4:02.07 (OQT)

3. :HKG Siobhan Haughey - 4:05.30 (OQT)

Men's 400m Freestyle:

1. :LTU Danas Rapsys - 3:44.86 (OQT)

2. :SWE Victor Johansson - 3:48.07

3. :USA Kieran Smith - 3:48.40

Women's 50m Backstroke:

1. :AUS Kaylee McKeown - 27.24 (WC Record)

2. :CAN Ingrid Wilm - 27.75

3. :NED Maaike de Waard - 27.92

Men's 200m Backstroke:

1. :ITA Thomas Ceccon - 1:56.64 (new OQT)

2. :JPN Ryosuke Irie - 1:58.99

3. :AUS Joshua Edwards-Smith - 1:59.00

Women's 200m Butterfly:

1. :CHN Zhang Yufei - 2:07.11 (OQT)

2. :DEN Helena Bach - 2:08.74 (OCT)

3. :BIH Lana Pudar - 2:08.90 (OCT)

Men's 100m Butterfly:

1. :USA Michael Andrew - 51.66 (new OQT)

2. :AUS Ben Armbruster - 51.69 (OCT, achieved OQT in heats)

3. :USA Trenton Julian - 52.06

Women's 200m Breaststroke:

1. :NED Tes Schouten - 2:22.13 (WC Record, OQT)

2. :AUS Jenna Strauch - 2:23.60 (new OQT)

3. :SGP Letitia Sim - 2:24.15 (new OCT)

Men's 100m Breaststroke:

1. :CHN Qin Haiyang - 57.69 (WC Record, OQT)

2. :NED Arno Kamminga - 59.01 (OQT)

3. :NED Caspar Corbeau - 59.27 (new OQT)

Women's 50m Freestyle:

1. :SWE Sarah Sjoestroem - 23.95 (OQT)

2. :AUS Cate Campbell - 24.11 (OQT)

3. :USA Torri Huske - 24.66 (OQT)

Men's 50m Freestyle:

1. :AUS Isaac Cooper - 21.93 (OQT)

2. :USA Michael Andrew - 22.03 (OCT)

3. :NED Stan Pijnenburg - 22.04 (new OCT)