website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

48 minutes ago, rybak said:

@rafalgorka You didn't predict medal for Włodarczyk? :mumble:

Also I don't see Ennaoui and Andrejczyk with medals during Olympics, maybe at European Championships, but not at Olympics.

I think Anita Włodarczyk will not have a great form in August, I am very worried about her because she changed her coach as you know. She may even probably miss the olympics - I am afraid she will skip it when feels she is not that good as before (like Artur Partyka in 2000). But as I wrote, those are early drafts, early predictions. If Anita shows good form in spring, I will obviously change my expectations with pleasure.

Sofia Ennaoui is training really hard now (we have some common friends) and she doesn't have one of best PBs of course but has a strong finish and olympic 1500 final may be not that fast, so there is a chance for her. The same with Marcin Lewandowski.

Maria Andrejczyk was better and better in 2020. She has a massive olympic experience already from Rio. This 4th place is still hurting her a lot so I think she will be extremely motivated and has a really good chance for bronze. I guess she may have it in the last throw, beating Japanese hopes (I predict Haruka Kitaguchi will be 4th).

But I may agree that I may be too optimistic with Sofia and Maria - but I just like both of them very much and wish them all the best.

And rybak, what are your predictions, both Polish and international?

11 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I think Anita Włodarczyk will not have a great form in Tokyo,I am very worried about her because she changed her coach as you know. She may even probably miss the olympics - I am afraid when she feels she is not that good as before. But as I wrote, those are early drafts, early predictions. If Anita shows good form in spring, I will obviously change my expectations with pleasure.

Sofia Ennaoui is training really hard now (we have some common friends) and she doesn't have one of best PBs of course but has a strong finish and olympic 1500 final may be not that fast, so there is a chance for her. The same with Marcin Lewandowski.

Maria Andrejczyk was better and better in 2020. She has a massive olympic experience already from Tokyo. This 4th place is still hurting her a lot so I think she will be extremely motivated and has a really good chance for bronze. I guess she may have it in the last throw, beating Japanese hopes (I predict Haruka Kitaguchi will be 4th).

But I may agree that I may be too optimistic with Sofia and Maria - but I just like both of them very much and wish them all the best.

And rybak, what are your predictions, both Polish and international?

I believe that Anita will have medal, even gold, she is very experienced athlete that changing the coach shouldn't too much affect on her, it could be issue if the Games would be held in 2020, not a year later. She training now very hard in Qatar and I'm confident that she will return to her place where she belong.

I will not predict anything now, after season which was badly affected by covid like everything else. Maybe in May/June I will decide to make any predictions.

We also must remember that if some big favourite athlete will be infected then might not be able to compete in Japan. But let's see what IOC will decide in near future. Also tomorrow Japanese PM will decide if they will introducte state of emergency again by third wave of covid with this new strain of virus.

My predictions for some team sports - early draft, many changes still to come.

Teams not qualified yet - I marked with *

M Volleyball - 1. United States 2. Poland 3. Russia

W Volleyball - 1. China 2. Serbia 3. Italy

M Basketball - 1. United States 2. Spain 3. Greece*

W Basketball - 1. United States 2. Australia 3. Spain

M Handball - 1. Spain 2. Croatia* 3. France*

W Handball - 1. Norway* 2. France 3. Netherlands

M Football - 1. Spain 2. France 3. Egypt

W Football - 1. United States 2. Netherlands 3. Japan

M Rugby 7s - 1. Fiji 2. New Zealand 3. South Africa

W Rugby 7s - 1. New Zealand 2. Australia 3. Canada

The rest still to come... But I know some people here know much more than me about field hockey or water polo ;-))))

I invite you all to this discussion. ;-)

17 minutes ago, rybak said:

I believe that Anita will have medal, even gold, she is very experienced athlete that changing the coach shouldn't too much affect on her, it could be issue if the Games would be held in 2020, not a year later. She training now very hard in Qatar and I'm confident that she will return to her place where she belong.

I will not predict anything now, after season which was badly affected by covid like everything else. Maybe in May/June I will decide to make any predictions.

We also must remember that if some big favourite athlete will be infected then might not be able to compete in Japan. But let's see what IOC will decide in near future. Also tomorrow Japanese PM will decide if they will introducte state of emergency again by third wave of covid with this new strain of virus.

1. ...rather: where she belongs. Or belonged (hopefully not). We will see.

I understand your point of view, time will tell. I really hope she will rebuild her form, but last time I saw her on my own eyes in competition (Kusociński 2019 - yes, I know, long time ago) she really didn't look good. Americans may be much better these days. And she will not go to Tokyo if she doesn't feel she's a gold medal contender. But I really hope I am wrong here.

2. Yes, it is probably not the best time for predictions, but I do it just for fun. Today is off-work day for me, so I have some time to spare. I will repeat it in May or June for sure. It will be interesting how indoor season will look like, too.

3. These virus things is obviously a long topic, a lot of factors, a lot ot issues here. We will see how it unfolds. But personally, I think this is very likely that the olympics may not happen this year and our predictions are everything we got. |

But I hope I am terribly wrong here, as well.

Time will tell.

Now thinking about my cycling predictions...

15 minutes ago, EupenM said:

Interesting. I hope to see :ARG  /  :FRA or :AUS on the podium.

Yes, these teams are strong favourites for medal. I would also add Lithuania to this group (well, they have to beat Poland in qualies first, but I am afraid they will do it with ease).

But if Greece qualifies (which will be difficult because the qualifying tournament will be during NBA season - so they need to play without Giannis and beat Canada/Turkey/China), then in the olympics Giannis will show sth special I believe, and he will help them a lot to reach semis, I think.

The same with Mo Salah and Egypt football team.

I know it may be some wishful thinking - but c'mon, there must be some surprises and dark horses ;-)

13 minutes ago, EupenM said:

And there, I can't say on 100 % that :AUS and :ESP will be on the top. Maybe, :CAN (finally) or :FRA will be with medals.

You are probably right. I must say, I am not very interested in women's basketball, so my predictions may not be accurate here.

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/news/way-too-early-predictions-for-the-olympics-who-will-qualify-and-who-will-impress-in-tokyo

Interesting article about qualification/final tournament. It's interesting that some predictors even don't belive that :SRB will qualify!