website statistics

BMX Cycling Freestyle at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Okay, as my confusion grows I've now read this article which implies that the quotas from the 2022 and 2023 WCs will go firstly to unrepresented continents which I think we all agree to be the correct interpretation. However, it also implies that the remaining quotas will only go to NOCs which haven't already qualified (post -OQS).

Is my interpretation correct and is the author right? If so, it means that a single athlete cannot gain more than one quota which seems fair. Apart from the hosts it would also mean that a NOC could only gain two quotas via next year's qualification series.

https://olympics.com/en/news/how-to-qualify-for-bmx-freestyle-paris-2024-olympic-qualification-system

The relevant paragraph.

"Once all continents have obtained a quota, the remaining spot(s) will be allocated based on results of the 2022 UCI Urban Cycling World Championships or 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships (in this order) and will be attributed to the highest-ranked NOC(s) who have not yet qualified for the Games, regardless of their continent."

Edited by Nickyc707

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Okay, as my confusion grows I've now read this article which implies that the quotas from the 2022 and 2023 WCs will go firstly to unrepresented continents which I think we all agree to be the correct interpretation. However, it also implies that the remaining quotas will only go to NOCs which haven't already qualified (post -OQS).

Is my interpretation correct and is the author right? If so, it means that a single athlete cannot gain more than one quota which seems fair. Apart from the hosts it would also mean that a NOC could only gain two quotas via next year's qualification series.

https://olympics.com/en/news/how-to-qualify-for-bmx-freestyle-paris-2024-olympic-qualification-system

The relevant paragraph.

"Once all continents have obtained a quota, the remaining spot(s) will be allocated based on results of the 2022 UCI Urban Cycling World Championships or 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships (in this order) and will be attributed to the highest-ranked NOC(s) who have not yet qualified for the Games, regardless of their continent."

So.....:mumble:

I'm not sure that the author has presented that in the correct way.

If we look at the qualification document, from the last line of the paragraph below, it is clear that the World Champ results can result in a NOC obtaining a 2nd quota. 

image.png

From my reading of the qualification document, the paragraph quoted from the Olympics.com article relates to the reallocation of quotas, and specifically, to the reallocation of NOC quotas earned in 2022/2023 World Champs:

image.png

We can ignore Method A - that's the simplest part of this qualification document :d. Method B relates to the reallocation of the 5 quotas obtained at the 2022 and 2023 World Champs. In the event that those quotas are reallocated - and theoretically, they should only be reallocated if a NOC obtains 2 named quotas in the OQS (likely the chase of :CHN for women), to provide continental representation (we know :RSA and :AUS will benefit from this) or an NOC rejects the quota (:RSA have rejected continental quotas in the past) - then they will be reallocated to nations who have not already qualified. 

Happy for my interpretation to be shot down by others, but that's how I see it.

13 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So.....:mumble:

I'm not sure that the author has presented that in the correct way.

If we look at the qualification document, from the last line of the paragraph below, it is clear that the World Champ results can result in a NOC obtaining a 2nd quota. 

image.png

From my reading of the qualification document, the paragraph quoted from the Olympics.com article relates to the reallocation of quotas, and specifically, to the reallocation of NOC quotas earned in 2022/2023 World Champs:

image.png

We can ignore Method A - that's the simplest part of this qualification document :d. Method B relates to the reallocation of the 5 quotas obtained at the 2022 and 2023 World Champs. In the event that those quotas are reallocated - and theoretically, they should only be reallocated if a NOC obtains 2 named quotas in the OQS (likely the chase of :CHN for women), to provide continental representation (we know :RSA and :AUS will benefit from this) or an NOC rejects the quota (:RSA have rejected continental quotas in the past) - then they will be reallocated to nations who have not already qualified. 

Happy for my interpretation to be shot down by others, but that's how I see it.

I agree with you.

I think that people from Olympics.com have inside access to question anything and to be fair all Martin's texts are very much similar to the documents even in those gray areas. 

I have saved all previous versions and just realized that they changed this section to explicity remove any impeditions from an NOC to have a second quota by the 2023 Worlds. But at the same time, it is still not clear if the same athlete can obtain 2 quotas for its country, which is crazy but... I guess on the male's side, Logan Smith for instance would probably get a second quota for Australia via 2023 WC even if he qualifies through the OQS or by continental quota via 2022 Worlds.

Version from 19 August 2022 (and probably the one used by Marta Martin):

image.png

Version from January 2023:

image.png

23 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

I agree with you.

I think that people from Olympics.com have inside access to question anything and to be fair all Martin's texts are very much similar to the documents even in those gray areas. 

I have saved all previous versions and just realized that they changed this section to explicity remove any impeditions from an NOC to have a second quota by the 2023 Worlds. But at the same time, it is still not clear if the same athlete can obtain 2 quotas for its country, which is crazy but... I guess on the male's side, Logan Smith for instance would probably get a second quota for Australia via 2023 WC even if he qualifies through the OQS or by continental quota via 2022 Worlds.

I think it is a good shout that the Olympics.com article probably predates the latest version of the qualification document.

On the issue of a single athlete qualifying 2 quotas - it does kind of feel like it shouldn't be possible - but when I look at the qualification pathways in other sports including diving, shooting, trampoline, the document specifically includes a clause which prohibits a single athlete securing 2 quotas. You'd like to think that they were aware that this scenario could occur and by not including it in the document would suggest that they were happy to accept it.

If we accept that the same athlete can secure 2 quotas, then good chance that it would benefit :JPN :GBR :AUS on men's side and :USA on the women's

On 8/8/2023 at 6:36 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

Looking at the available results from competitions over the last 18 months, my current expectations for qualification in women's freestyle looks like this:

Host Quota

:FRA (Laury Perez)

Olympic Qualifier Series

:USA (Hannah Roberts)

:CHN

:CHN

:CZE (Iveta Miculycova)

:GER (Kim Lee Muller)

:GBR (Charlotte Worthington)

2022 World Champ Quotas

:USA

:AUS 

2023 World Champ Quotas

:GBR

:COL

:CZE

Out of curiosity what would be your take for the man's freestyle?

Mine would be

Olympic Qualifier Series
Logan MARTIN
:JPN NAKAMURA Rimu
:FRA Anthony JEANJEAN
:GBR KIERAN REILLY
:USA (but this sixth spot I guess could go to  :ARG:VEN:NED:GBR or other countries out of the radar

2022 World Champ Quotas
:JPN2
:USA or:FRA

2023 World Champ Quotas
:RSA  
possibly reallocated to :ARG
:FRA reallocated to :CRO 

:BRA chance would be if GBR gets two spots via OQS (or if Gustavo Bala Loka wins directly a quota via OQS)

10 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think it is a good shout that the Olympics.com article probably predates the latest version of the qualification document.

On the issue of a single athlete qualifying 2 quotas - it does kind of feel like it shouldn't be possible - but when I look at the qualification pathways in other sports including diving, shooting, trampoline, the document specifically includes a clause which prohibits a single athlete securing 2 quotas. You'd like to think that they were aware that this scenario could occur and by not including it in the document would suggest that they were happy to accept it.

If we accept that the same athlete can secure 2 quotas, then good chance that it would benefit :JPN :GBR :AUS on men's side and :USA on the women's

Yeah, but we also have to remmeber that the OQD are made by the specific federations and sometimes they leave things that may be obvious to them. I wonder if we had this loophole on the 2020 or previous documents by UCI? I'm kind of new into this area. 

8 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

Out of curiosity what would be your take for the man's freestyle?

Mine would be

Olympic Qualifier Series
Logan MARTIN
:USA (but this sixth spot I guess could go to  :ARG:VEN:NED:GBR or other countries out of the radar

2022 World Champ Quotas
:JPN2
:USA or:FRA

2023 World Champ Quotas
:RSA  
possibly reallocated to :ARG
:FRA reallocated to :CRO 

:BRA chance would be if GBR gets two spots via OQS (or if Gustavo Bala Loka wins directly a quota via OQS)

I agree with pretty much all of you picks although if there is a reallocation of USA's 2022 WC quota, I don't think it would go to France - I think it would go to Argentina as you cannot use a reallocated quota to secure a second rider. 

For the OQS, injuries aside, it's difficult to see a scenario where Martin, Nakamura, Jeanjean and Reilly don't finish inside the top 6 - they've certainly shown the consistency that is likely to be needed to achieve it. For USA, probably the favourite is likely to be Marcus Christopher. Like the other 4, he's been pretty consistent across the '23 world cup series.

Like you say, the 6th spot is likely to be a coin toss. I don't think it is going to go to another American. I know Nick Bruce took the silver in Glasgow, but that was a huge step up from his '23 world cup performances. My pick would probably :ARG Jose Torres Gil. 

So my prediction at the moment is

Olympic Qualifier Series
Logan MARTIN
:USA Marcus Christopher
:ARG Jose Torres Gil

2022 World Champs

:JPN

2023 World Champs

:RSA - initially had thought likely that South Africa would reject continental quota but looking bat at 2020, I see they accepted continental quota for BMX racing so no I am not so sure. 

Reallocated Host Quota

:CRO

13 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Bennegas is a great rider, she should qualify even without USA's additional quota. Same with Brooks/Jones on the men's side (Right now, it's safe to say Reilly will qualify). Also, would put Lessmann instead of Lea Muller. Other than that, exactly what I'm thinking.

Edited by Josh

I can that there are many confusions regarding qualification quota allocated to BMX freestyle. Well, I hope that IOC will not only be issuing the OG qualification rules but also could be publishing on their website qualified athletes, country quotas, team quotas, etc. It think it would be very prosperous. They have already been improving delivering relevant information and this would prosper to everyone. Meanwhile, I always try to keep track on wiki and the women's quota has been changed there. But now I wonder 🤔🤔 how possibly can one athlete earn 2 quotas for her country? Isn't that against the rules? Hannah Roberts won WCH 2022 and also 2023 and earned the quota from both events?? What sense does it make? In my opinion the third quota should go to :COL from this champs .... And again, :CZE Iveta Miculyčová who won the European Games and got a bronze medal last year, stays the first below the line. 😞