website statistics

Athletics at the European Games 2023

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Volko earns a third medal for :SVK  @hckošice

Thanks.

A nice but still very small consolation for the terribly disastrous disappointment from our sole gold medal chance here in muay thai shocking early exit earlier today... her first lose in years and it had to happen right today. That one will hurt for a long time and completely took my mood from these games away...

will probably need some time to swallow this

anyway, congrats to Johnny Volko, his 3rd EG careers medal and completed set (Gold in Baku, Silver in Minsk and now Bronze)

Aaand now just for fun, how would Division I standings would look like without :NOR:TUR:BEL and with newly promoted :HUN:UKR:LTU  based on results showed in these championships:

Country Points Change in points
:ITA  415 -11.5
:POL  396 -6.5
:GER  377 -10.5
:GBR  335.5 -5.5
:ESP  335 -17
:NED  333 -6.5
:FRA  325 -12.5
:POR  308.5 -6.5
:HUN  308 n/a
:UKR  296 n/a
:CZE  291.5 -12
:SWE  274 -9
:FIN  269.5 -13
:SUI  256 -7
:GRE  251.5 -5
:LTU  249.5 n/a

@Bearas so you’ll be ineligible for team medals once the 2027 European Games come around :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'm pleasantly surprised that we avoided relegation :clap:

Without a doubt, our 19 yo sprinter Polyniki Emmanouilidou was the star for us. Got 3rd place in 200m with a U23NR of 22.85 :yes

Also she was 7th in 100m with 11.30 which is her second best time ever.

Another 19 yo, Georgia Despollari, also impressed a lot. She finished 10th in the 800m with a new PB of 2:02.31 (her PB before this season was 2:12.32). She is a footballer for Panathinaikos' women's team and suddenly it seems that she might have to change her career. If she actually focuses on track, she could potentially do really big things. Especially for our standards as we are historically poor in middle and long distance events, as evidenced by our results here.

Our women's 4x100 team got 7th with a time of 43.81 which is the best they've done in several years, and this is without Spanoudaki who is injured (who was our best sprinter until this year when Emmanouilidou surpassed her). They can make it to Paris if healthy, which would be incredible, as we have not had any athletics relay team at an Olympics since our men's 4x400 team made it in Beijing 2008...

We had a lot of good results from men in field events. Tentoglou 1st, Karalis 2nd, Anastasakis and Tsiamis 3rd, Kyriazis 5th...Nyfantopoulos 6th in 100m was also good. We needed some results like this since we are horrible at the middle and long distance events.

I will say I am disappointed in some of our women. Tzengko 5th and Stefanidi 8th, these are the types of athletes we expect better from...also Karydi 10th and hasn't even jumped over 13m this year, it's crazy to see how much she has regressed when a few years ago she was one of the most promising jumpers in the world. Apparently she isn't training much anymore because she is focusing on dental school.

Stamatia Scarvelis 11th was also very disappointing, she's been generally poor this year. As for Vasiliou finishing 16th in 400m with 53.90, no words...

However, the most disappointing of all was Pavlidis in the men's discus. He's our men's NR holder (64.90) at only 19 yo and he only registered one valid attempt today which was 45.79 for a last place finish.

Also special thanks to European Athletics for making it almost impossible to follow these events as we cannot even see live results without registering for their stupid website. World Athletics did the same thing last year I believe. These people really want to make their sport as inaccessible as possible, huh?

A country not starting in an event at the team championships doesn't lead to disqualification, does it? Especially US media is talking about Boumkwo as 'saving Belgium from disqualification' by making sure they had someone do the 100m hurdles...

Sounds like typical US overdramatization, surely? As far as I know it would only cost them points (which might lead to relegation of course), but not an overall DQ.

I know it's a bit old, but just managed to catch up with the Boumkwo thing :p 

It was good to watch on-demand from AllAthletics, once I figured out how to avoid the incessant spoilers, somewhat. With the results documents including the team standings at hand it was pretty doable. And 6th place for the Netherlands, best ever result despite Aggard's injury in the mixed 4x400m (would have been 5th or even 4th without that, but it would have been 7th had he not finishes, so props to him).

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

A country not starting in an event at the team championships doesn't lead to disqualification, does it? Especially US media is talking about Boumkwo as 'saving Belgium from disqualification' by making sure they had someone do the 100m hurdles...

Sounds like typical US overdramatization, surely? As far as I know it would only cost them points (which might lead to relegation of course), but not an overall DQ.

I know it's a bit old, but just managed to catch up with the Boumkwo thing :p 

It was good to watch on-demand from AllAthletics, once I figured out how to avoid the incessant spoilers, somewhat. With the results documents including the team standings at hand it was pretty doable. And 6th place for the Netherlands, best ever result despite Aggard's injury in the mixed 4x400m (would have been 5th or even 4th without that, but it would have been 7th had he not finishes, so props to him).

Yeah, exaggeration. She got 2 points because Sweden were DQed.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:35 PM, Makedonas said:

Another 19 yo, Georgia Despollari, also impressed a lot. She finished 10th in the 800m with a new PB of 2:02.31 (her PB before this season was 2:12.32). She is a footballer for Panathinaikos' women's team and suddenly it seems that she might have to change her career. If she actually focuses on track, she could potentially do really big things. Especially for our standards as we are historically poor in middle and long distance events, as evidenced by our results here.

Well, she will choose to focus on football unfortunately. She got called up to the women's national team so I guess it makes sense for her.

She will compete at the upcoming National Championships and European U23 Championships (with the third best time), and then focus on football again.

Edited by Makedonas