website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Where I think one of the biggest things is that it's a purely commercial product. As in, the developer of game X will want it to be Olympic, because of sales only.

The fact that each esport depends on a commercial product with a privately owned IP is indeed one of the big issue the IOC has to contend with (though definitively not the only one).

But I do think that if the IOC looks at it as a commercial event it would be a mistake, esports event run that way don't tend to have a lot of longevity, wheras the more community minded esports events have done better.

Edited by NearPup

I have a question for people who know the eSports scene (I don't apart from that it exists)

Which countries (I mean competitors of) do well at different eSports tournaments?

- Big Anglophone countries like USA AUS CAN?

- Japan, S Korea?

- How are Europeans doing?

I know that there are a ton of games these tournaments are played with but maybe there are some general trends.

Edited by pdr4332

18 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

I have a question for people who know the eSports scene (I don't apart from that it exists)

Which countries (I mean competitors of) do well at different eSports tournaments?

- Big Anglophone countries like USA AUS CAN?

- Japan, S Korea?

- How are Europeans doing?

I know that there are a ton of games these tournaments are played with but maybe there are some general trends.

It depends. Esports isn’t one thing, it’s a lot of different, completely different scenes.

Among the big esports scenes:

:USA and :JPN are traditionally the biggest countries in fighting games.

:KOR Is the dominant country in League of Legends, with :CHN being the clear number 2. Every world champion (both in terms of the nationality of the players and of the pro teams they represent) have been from one of those two countries since 2013.

StarCraft (both Brood Wars and II) is dominated by :KOR to the point where every non-Korean players are referred to as “foreigners” even by their own compatriots. Only one major Brood Wars tournament has ever been won by a non-Korean, all the way back in 2000. Foreigners were slightly more successful in StarCraft II.

Interestingly the person who is usually considered the best female esports performer of all times is a :CAN StarCraft II player, Scarlett. She’s openly trans, which isn’t an issue since most StarCraft tournaments are open.

Dota 2 is one of the most diverse esport in terms of nationality. :CHN is usually considered the best performing country, with :RUS :UKR also consistently producing great teams. Players from the following countries have also been world champion: :AUS:FIN:FRA:DEN:GER:JOR:BUL:LBN:EST:MKD:PAK:MAS:SVK:SWE:ISR:CAN 

Dota 2 teams often contain players from many different countries, in events where every player must be from the same country you would likely see the strongest teams out of :CHN:RUS:UKR:SWE:PER 

Back when Overwatch esport was a big thing it was dominated by :KOR

I’m not super familiar with Counter Strike, but my understanding is that :BRA:UKR:RUS:CHN:SWE:DEN:FRA:USA are the strongest countries.

For Rocket League I would say :FRA:USA:GBR are the strongest countries, with notable standouts from :CAN:KSA:AUS:BRA:MAR:BEL 

And that’s sort of it as far as esports scenes I have some familiarity with.

Not that any of this matters since there won’t be any esports in the esports Olympic games.

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Can people stop talking about E-sports? Let them have their own version of the "Olympics" in Riyadh or somewhere else and be it. Bach or the next President can go and open it with pleasure. Just keep it separate from the real sports ones..

And stop calling it a sport too, just call it “competitive video gaming” :p 

On 8/11/2024 at 11:08 AM, heywoodu said:

And apparently World Aquatics has also made it's 4-yearly bullshit request of having the 50m's added....which apparently but luckily has once again been denied.

There goes Michael Andrew’s hopes :p

On 8/11/2024 at 8:08 PM, heywoodu said:

And apparently World Aquatics has also made it's 4-yearly bullshit request of having the 50m's added....which apparently but luckily has once again been denied.

What is wrong with having more than one event in the 50 meters when we have 5 individual events over 200m? Swimming should not have more events but what about having like cross country skiing to have maybe 2 strokes per distance (50-200) and change each olympics. 400m - only medley, 800 and 1500 only freestyle.

I would also remove the mixed relays

1 hour ago, Swewi said:

What is wrong with having more than one event in the 50 meters when we have 5 individual events over 200m? Swimming should not have more events but what about having like cross country skiing to have maybe 2 strokes per distance (50-200) and change each olympics. 400m - only medley, 800 and 1500 only freestyle.

I would also remove the mixed relays

No, not change each Olympics. Fencing having had that rotating team thing was already awful enough.

50m's just don't add much. So often we see somewhat the same people in most of the 50m races. It's already enough to have one distance for the odd strokes, no need to have two at all.

- A few freestyle distances (since that's the fastest way of swimming, so the most important one), maybe 100, 400, 1500 or something is fine

- Either 100 or 200 meter in the slow strokes, no need to have both

- One individual medley, 400m probably being the best option

- Men's and women's medley relay

- Men's and women's freestyle relay (not two of those, no need, so either 4x100 or 4x200)

For a grand total of 14 individual events (7 M, 7 W) and 4 relays (2 M, 2 W).

In case someone is inclined to see it's not realistic: duh, I am well aware this obviously won't happen :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

No, not change each Olympics. Fencing having had that rotating team thing was already awful enough.

50m's just don't add much. So often we see somewhat the same people in most of the 50m races. It's already enough to have one distance for the odd strokes, no need to have two at all.

- A few freestyle distances (since that's the fastest way of swimming, so the most important one), maybe 100, 400, 1500 or something is fine

- Either 100 or 200 meter in the slow strokes, no need to have both

- One individual medley, 400m probably being the best option

- Men's and women's medley relay

- Men's and women's freestyle relay (not two of those, no need, so either 4x100 or 4x200)

For a grand total of 14 individual events (7 M, 7 W) and 4 relays (2 M, 2 W).

In case someone is inclined to see it's not realistic: duh, I am well aware this obviously won't happen :p 

I like that proposal too! I could also like to get rid of semi finals on all distances, and only allow one change between heats and finals in relays.

snd btw it could have at least doubled Sjöströms golds so yes ut would have been very useful with at least 50 fly:d (not biased)

Edited by Swewi