website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

1 minute ago, konig said:

You are complety rigth George, is just i think that in these days, all the western IOC directings are like Thomas Bach, i presume there arent many Rogges now, even from another continent.

With Rogge i see impossible to have that addition of sports for "only this edition" like Karate in Tokyo 2020 and breaking for Paris 2024.

Which would be too bad, because the program should be somewhat flexible and there definitely should be room to try new sports here and there. The core program really isn't changing that fast at all, the edges are more...fluid, for lack of a better word. Which I think is fine. Sometimes it will be things we like, other times it will be things we don't really like.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, George_D said:

and strongest countries are mainly favored by this.

also i dont find it so bad that some sports could have more male categories (wrestling, boxing) since there are some other that have exclusively females (artistic swimming, rhythmic gymnastics) so the balance stays in overall

Mixed events are perfect for sports where two separate team events are unwarranted, for example the mixed team judo or mixed triathlon. One team event is enough in those sports and mixed is a good compromise for that. In this sense, I wouldn't mind a mixed team diving, for example. However, in table tennis I would prefer mixed team and separate men's/women's doubles.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which would be too bad, because the program should be somewhat flexible and there definitely should be room to try new sports here and there. The core program really isn't changing that fast at all, the edges are more...fluid, for lack of a better word. Which I think is fine. Sometimes it will be things we like, other times it will be things we don't really like.

I do think the provisional/optional sports are a good idea. There were demonstration sports before, often they were "typical" of the host country, only there were no medals awarded.

This new system is a new form of that with medals this time.

It allows to include sports which the organizers think represent the host country or are typical there (I think lacrosse  which AFAIK will be in LA falls in this category - it is a university sport in N America but I don't think its that popular in Europe) without opening the whole battle of permanently include a sport (with everything it takes, venues etc)

5 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

I do think the provisional/optional sports are a good idea. There were demonstration sports before, often they were "typical" of the host country, only there were no medals awarded.

This new system is a new form of that with medals this time.

It allows to include sports which the organizers think represent the host country or are typical there (I think lacrosse  which AFAIK will be in LA falls in this category - it is a university sport in N America but I don't think its that popular in Europe) without opening the whole battle of permanently include a sport (with everything it takes, venues etc)

Plus it simply makes it easier to see if a sport finds a good international audience. World Cups are nice, but just not anywhere near a good reference in that regard. Sports climbing is a great example I think: most people, including sports fans, didn't even know it really existed until Tokyo, and now I've read so many positive reactions on it ever since its debut.

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It is beyond me that 'swimming doesn't need 136 medal events' isn't on the top of this list :p 

I can see swimming being cut to just the freestyle events but not till 2036. The two swimming superpowers won’t back a cut. 

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Only a matter of time before short course swimming is added. Just imagine, swimming during the entire Olympics :p

And apparently World Aquatics has also made it's 4-yearly bullshit request of having the 50m's added....which apparently but luckily has once again been denied.

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

Not finalized, supposed to be this fall

The only new thing partially confirmed is a mixed team golf event

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think each federation needs to decide it.   Besides boxing and breaking going bye bye