website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

On 7/12/2024 at 1:49 AM, MantaRaymarc said:

Wow! What a remarkable choice for the French team! Manaudou won four medals, including a gold from London, in the 50m freestyle at his fourth straight Games. Robert-Michon won a silver at Rio 2016 and she will join Jeannie Longo as the only French athletes to appear in seventh straight Games.

I assume Wembanyama not being chosen is due to the basketball team having a match the day after, or would they simply prefer an athlete with a story over potentially the number one super star?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

37 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I assume Wembanyama not being chosen is due to the basketball team having a match the day after, or would they simply prefer an athlete with a story over potentially the number one super star?

He was no candidate. And really, if one basketball player was to be chosen, I'would had been Batum. Basically, we always go with stories over star material (that's one for the sociologists here). 

Edit: if any native english speaker could tell me if this sentence is grammatically correct, I'll appreciate that :d

Edited by De_Gambassi

12 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

He was no candidate. And really, if one basketball player was to be chosen, I'would had been Batum. Basically, we always go with stories over star material (that's one for the sociologists here). 

Excellent, I generally prefer stories :d 

(To any broadcaster: I don't mean that you should be telling 'stories' during the live sports, show live sports during the live sports please)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

The British flag bearers will not be decided for another 10 days.

Personally I'm guessing Tom Daley and Charlotte Dujardin.

I can't quite remember how the system works but is it the athletes that vote from a representative for each sport? In that case, I'm going to guess Tom Daley and KJT.

31 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I can't quite remember how the system works but is it the athletes that vote from a representative for each sport? In that case, I'm going to guess Tom Daley and KJT.

Each sport nominates one person. The whole team then votes on it

5 hours ago, Dragon said:

The British flag bearers will not be decided for another 10 days.

Personally I'm guessing Tom Daley and Charlotte Dujardin.

It SHOULD be Carl Hestor and Helen Glover. It WILL be Tom Daley and AN Other, quite likely Dujardin though personally I'd quite like it to Becky Downie. I would have said Jade Jones had a big shout, but...

Other outside bet on men's side is Max Whitlock.

Prediction, CLOSING ceremony will be Adam Peaty and Emma Finucane.