Totallympics

so here are the quotas for tonight

86: :IRI:USA

125: :IRI:GEO

these guys in repechage will try for the remaining 3 quotas tomorrow

86:

needs one win :UZB:KAZ

needs couple wins at least :AUS:MGL:SMR / :MAR:AUT:BRN

I think it's fair to say that 3 quotas will be between KAZ/UZB/SMR/BRN, only the Mongolian can change that

125:

needs one win :USA:TUR

needs couple wins at least :BLR:PUR:HUN / :CAM:RUS:POL

no chance for PUR and I think BLR will beat Ligeti (HUN) or at least he has a better chance. that CAM wrestler is actually Iranian so it won't be walk in the park. last night I would considered Baran (POL) as favorite but Kurbanov (AIN) was better than my expectation

so I say 3 quotas will be between RUS/BLR/TUR/USA but POL and HUN can change that

Edited by MHSN

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

86:

I think it's fair to say that 3 quotas will be between KAZ/UZB/SMR/BRN, only the Mongolian can change that

125:

no chance for PUR and I think BLR will beat Ligeti (HUN) or at least he has a better chance. that CAM wrestler is actually Iranian so it won't be walk in the park. last night I would considered Baran (POL) as favorite but Kurbanov (AIN) was better than my expectation

so I say 3 quotas will be between RUS/BLR/TUR/USA but POL and HUN can change that

Oh I thought you will take Ligety on this place.

22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

86:

125:

Can you do a summary for non-olympic weights  please.

Will be good to know , what to make of the competition in those weights & who will medal in those categories. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Adriano said:

Oh I thought you will take Ligety on this place.

Ligeti has some tricks up his sleeves and almost gave us a scare when he scored that 4pts against Zare but he is not young and after that Zare easily scored tons of points on him. that guy Khramiankov has couple of wins against our 2nd/3rd tier wrestlers, so I know his potential probably better. of course Ligeti can take the win with one of his nasty throws , winner of that match will finish 5th though but will be one win away from the quota.

5 hours ago, Adriano said:

you know, always good to have quota on 1st event. For me you will get it. But this guy from Uzbekistan looks so good here.

Next tournaments could be stressuful. This period for your top wrestlers could be more calm than going and prepare for next events before OG.

of course, it's important to win the quota early, because then you can prepare yourself better. but in this specific sport winning the quota doesn't mean the same guy will to the Olympics. they still have to go through our own trial process (even though by wining a medal they will have a huge advantage over the rest)

it's also about matchups and different styles. for example that Uzbek guy was great until the SF but Yazdani handled him quite easily, he usually does that against Russian (and ex-Soviet) wrestlers but he struggled against Amine (SMR) who is American in fact. 

anyway it was a good day, 2 quotas, 3 in the final (2 expected 1 surprise ) we are in a race with team USA for the team title and they are leading after the 1st day.

Yazdani-Taylor is probably the most anticipated sporting event here (I mean outside of football) people will get very upset if/when he loses. and unfortunately I can't see him winning. Taylor was just better today 

2 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Can you do a summary for non-olympic weights  please.

Will be good to know , what to make of the competition in those weights & who will medal in those categories. Thanks! 

sure

but two of them had their competitions today

61kg 

Abbasgazhi Magomedov was the clear favorite before the event and he proved that on the mat too. easily making it to the final dominating everybody including the Ukrainian. (no shake hands after the match and UWW didn't care again) from the other side I was expecting the Kyrgyz guy to qualify but Vito Arujau was great. I think Magomedov will win the final too

70kg

Zain Retherford was the clear favorite IMO and he made it to the final. I believe your guy has a realistic shot for the bronze. I didn't know him before today but like most of your lighter guys he is not giving up easily :d

A.M. Yazdani is a talented wrestler but he lost to almost everybody this year, so him being in the final is surprising. I don't think he will win the final but I hope I'm wrong

and for tomorrow weights

79kg

I think two big favorites are going to meet in the QF and that's Nokhodi (IRN) and Usmanov (RUS/AIN) I believe Usmanov has the upper hand. Nokhodi has a unique style comparing to our other wrestlers, more similar to Russian style. 

bottom half looks easier to me, I think Mykhailov (UKR) is the favorite with Gamkrelidze to win the bronze. Mykhailov tried his luck at 86kg mostly this year, I don't know how he is doing one weight down, but if he making weight properly he will be very dangerous.

92kg

the draw is unbalanced, most of favorites are in the bottom half. Valiev, Azarpira, Valencia and Nurmagomedov and I can add the Japanese kid Yoshida to the mix too, we know him very well because of his Iranian father, he won the Asian title this year and to me he has a chance for medal. unfortunately our World Champion Ghasempour got injured and we had to replace him with Azarpira who is good but Ghasempour was something else. 

I think Akturk can win the top half, he is the clear favorite. but the bronze medal is up for grab, 

57 minutes ago, MHSN said:

61kg Abbasgazhi Magomedov was the clear favorite before the event and he proved that on the mat too. easily making it to the final dominating everybody including the Ukrainian. (no shake hands after the match and UWW didn't care again) from the other side I was expecting the Kyrgyz guy to qualify but Vito Arujau was great. I think Magomedov will win the final too

UWW allowed not to shake hands. Ukrainians will not do this. Russians will not insist - they have to avoid scandals like at that one at the fencing championship.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

86:

125:

Aren't Belarus and Russia not allowed to qualify?

7 minutes ago, rybak said:

We still do not know. Two requests to the IOC are pending (including a request from InsideTheGames).

According to the officially published rules they are definitely ineligible. Even twice:

1) they did not participate in the European Championship 

2) They do not represent NOC so they cannot "obtain quotas for their NOCs".
The same situation was at the World Rowing Championship and they did not announce quota for belorussian despite of the fact that he finished at the quota winning place.

image.png

Makoev :( that defeat to :BRN will probably cost him the Olympics, as there only 5 more spots left eventually for europeans (3 of them will be awarded at world qualifying Tournament though) and many good european wrestlers will fight for them.

His best chance was here, oh well... it is how it is, what can we do..

We still have qualified only in 2 sports (Shooting and Athletics), clearly heading for the lowest participating record, Gonna be hard to qualify even 20 athletes to the games this time :(

43 minutes ago, rybak said:

as said above we don't know that yet

but I watched UWW commentators during the afternoon session and they never said anything about AIN wrestlers not being eligible to qualify. I will pay more attention tomorrow during the finals to see if they say anything about it.

personally I think they won't get the quota for now but that will be reserved for them until IOC takes the final decision in this matter. they have plenty of time before the continental qualifiers to do that.