website statistics

Which are your Nation's Best and Worst Olympic Games ever?

vlad

In recent memory the worst for Brazil gotta be Sydney 2000, the first one I watched in full (or at least what Globo broadcast). After our best participation (Atlanta), was frustranting not seeing any gold medal for Brazil. Best was Rio but I also have some good memories from 2004 (putting aside the nightmare of women's volleyball).

For winter: 1980 will always mean the most to older Americans. I’d say our best games were actually Pyeongchang 2018 or Vancouver 2010.

for summer: I believe our NOC considers London 2012 as our best Olympics, but really we don’t often have a bad games. Maybe 1980 was our worst performance :p

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 godziny temu, Monzanator napisał:

Poland won 7 golds at four different Olympics and historically the best is Montreal 1976 when we had 26 medals

I agree, but it's worth mentioning something more about that games. For Polish fans most memorable event from Montreal is of course winning final of men's volleybal against USSR. But there is also last olympic medal of our not only athletics but all-sport legend Irena Kirszenstein-Szewinska. She got gold in 400m and it's our only medal in this distance to this day (in men's 400m we have one bronze). In Montreal we got first medal in modern pentathlon (Janusz Pyciak-Peciak) and first gold in wrestling (Kazimierz Lipien). Sadly we also got last gold in boxing (Jerzy Rybicki) - the discipline which give us most medals of all events except athletics. For me worth mentioning is also bronze of our men's handball team - our only olympic medal in handball. Also what a great time when losing in olympic football final was consider as failure ;) 

Unfortunately I'm too young to remember that Olympics so for me the best are Atlanta and Sydney. Of course in 1996 we had more medals and more gold medals than in 2000 but I'm a little sentimental about Sydney. First of all I always was big fan of Robert Korzeniowski (my avatar) and he won two golds in Sydney (in Atlanta one). I will never forget a TV interview with him during which he heard statement about disqualification of Mexican Segura (who finished first at 20km walk) for running. We had four golds in athletics which never happened before or after - two more in hammer throws. It was begin of Polish era in hammer (not domination yet but still). Second gold of Renata Mauer in shooting (rifle), first of Robert Sycz and Tomasz Kucharski in rowing (LM2x) which they defened in Athens. For me is also first time I was watching canoe slalom and field hockey (we had a team at the olympics in that time!) and I love both of them.

Winter is of course Sochi, as Monzanator wrote. I'll just add that at WOG we have seven gold medals in our history and four of them are from Sochi. That is... well, I can't find the right word :d

1 hour ago, Col_Frost said:

I agree, but it's worth mentioning something more about that games. For Polish fans most memorable event from Montreal is of course winning final of men's volleybal against USSR. But there is also last olympic medal of our not only athletics but all-sport legend Irena Kirszenstein-Szewinska. She got gold in 400m and it's our only medal in this distance to this day (in men's 400m we have one bronze). In Montreal we got first medal in modern pentathlon (Janusz Pyciak-Peciak) and first gold in wrestling (Kazimierz Lipien). Sadly we also got last gold in boxing (Jerzy Rybicki) - the discipline which give us most medals of all events except athletics. For me worth mentioning is also bronze of our men's handball team - our only olympic medal in handball. Also what a great time when losing in olympic football final was consider as failure ;) 

Unfortunately I'm too young to remember that Olympics so for me the best are Atlanta and Sydney. Of course in 1996 we had more medals and more gold medals than in 2000 but I'm a little sentimental about Sydney. First of all I always was big fan of Robert Korzeniowski (my avatar) and he won two golds in Sydney (in Atlanta one). I will never forget a TV interview with him during which he heard statement about disqualification of Mexican Segura (who finished first at 20km walk) for running. We had four golds in athletics which never happened before or after - two more in hammer throws. It was begin of Polish era in hammer (not domination yet but still). Second gold of Renata Mauer in shooting (rifle), first of Robert Sycz and Tomasz Kucharski in rowing (LM2x) which they defened in Athens. For me is also first time I was watching canoe slalom and field hockey (we had a team at the olympics in that time!) and I love both of them.

Winter is of course Sochi, as Monzanator wrote. I'll just add that at WOG we have seven gold medals in our history and four of them are from Sochi. That is... well, I can't find the right word :d

I'm not old enough to remember Montrea 1976 either but I remember Legien & Wronski from Seoul 1988. Barcelona 1992 of course had Korzeniowski DQ in the stadium gate but I most remember Skrzypaszek's modern pentathlon gold for whatever reason. Atlanta was nuts, we had 3 golds in GR wrestling plus Renata Mauer after the German choked the gold away in the last round IIRC.

8 godzin temu, Monzanator napisał:

I'm not old enough to remember Montrea 1976 either

I didn't write that you are :p 

8 godzin temu, Monzanator napisał:

Atlanta was nuts, we had 3 golds in GR wrestling plus Renata Mauer after the German choked the gold away in the last round IIRC.

Three of that golds in day 1, Nastula's gold in judo in day 2, third wrestling gold (Wronski) in day 3. I agree, it was nuts. 

In riecent history in terms of numbers best  2016, worst 2004

however special moment is always volleyball gold in 2000

when it comes to WOG i guess for us all are the same :D, i followed only last 2....so maybe 2010 when we had most athletes or 2018 when we scored best placement of an athlete