website statistics

Mountain Bike Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 7/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, heywoodu said:

No idea about qualifying pathways and such, but in terms of quality Vas would definitely be able to do so. It's of course significantly harder in the men's events, but even there it wouldn't be impossible for the likes of Pidcock or Van der Poel (but probably doing both would be bad for their chances in both, whereas combining them in a strong way might be a bit 'easier' for the women).

It's still not super common though, but Ferrand Prevot, Vas, Rissveds and surely some others would at least be capable of competing in both at the Olympics.

Speaking of van der Poel, will he try qualifying for MTB again? And what's the plan to manage this? Or is there no actual (known) plan right now?

The Netherlands will qualify for two riders in the MTB event. It’s up to him whether he wants to take one of those positions. I would say it’s likely

Obviously the Netherlands have final say who goes, but he’s their best chance of a medal there so if he wants it, he’ll be there. 

1 hour ago, dodge said:

The Netherlands will qualify for two riders in the MTB event. It’s up to him whether he wants to take one of those positions. I would say it’s likely

Obviously the Netherlands have final say who goes, but he’s their best chance of a medal there so if he wants it, he’ll be there. 

I don't think the Netherlands are in a position to qualify two male riders at all? With Van der Poel not in the world cup races and Vader not fully recovered from severe injuries, I believe we're not even in position to qualify a single rider via world ranking.

I believe the goal is for Van der Poel to qualify using the world championship quota, so this is going to be an important race for him.

10 hours ago, dodge said:

Although if Vader would have ended up being the one qualifying the Netherlands though the rankings, it really should be him to go (qualifying a spot and then someone else taking it away while barely competing....no thanks). But yeah, that's not gonna happen, both because of Vader choosing road and of course his serious injury.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, Jinzha said:

I don't think the Netherlands are in a position to qualify two male riders at all? With Van der Poel not in the world cup races and Vader not fully recovered from severe injuries, I believe we're not even in position to qualify a single rider via world ranking.

I believe the goal is for Van der Poel to qualify using the world championship quota, so this is going to be an important race for him.

What does he need to achieve for a Q here? He didn't seem to be on top form in the TDF naturally, so that might be tough.

Edited by AsensioWillemsen

5 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

What does he need to achieve for a Q here? He didn't seem to be on top form in the TDF naturally, so that might be tough.

It's a bit complicated because it depends on the world ranking. I believe when the world ranking finishes next year, they look back at this world championship and give a quota to the best rider from a nation that has not yet qualified a rider.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Vas has to race more in MB, you can't just show up to the Worlds with almost no MB preparation and win a medal. Still, 5th place should be enough for a quota, unless Canada somehow fails to win the quota on the ranking. 

Problem is I bet that her road contract does not permit more than a few MB races per year.

Women are on the way, Lecomte with a Lecomte attack.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!