website statistics

Mountain Bike Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Ah yeah, that's a thing too. What does, say Van der Poel (or less realistically but still hopefully, Sagan) need to do to qualify :NED or :SVK for the Olympics?

The only way they can do it now is through the Nations Ranking list which runs until 26/5/24. A country has to be ranked at 19 or above to qualify for at least one quota.  I don't think that either the Netherlands or Slovakia are in that position at the moment and I'm not sure that Slovakia could get enough points to qualify Sagan at this stage. It's much more realistic for the Netherlands but it will require Van der Poel to compete in a lot of races and win a lot of points to make up the current gap between his country and the 19th placed nation. 

I fear that I may have developed an unhealthy obsession with cycling ranking lists over the course of the last 2 weeks, but if the MTB qualification were to end as of the completion of world champs, I think the quotas on the men's side would be:

Olympic Ranking Quotas (27):

2x :SUI :FRA :ITA :ESP :BEL :GBR :GER :NZL

1 x :BRA :RSA :CAN :DEN :AUT :USA :POL :NOR :ROU :CHI :CZE

Continental Quotas (3)

Africa: TBC - Won by South Africa but reallocated to :NAM

America: :MEX

Asia: TBC - Possibly :JPN based on 2022 Asian Champs

2023 World Championship Quotas:

All of the quotas from the World Champs are subject to reallocation

2023 Elite Race: :LAT & :COL

2023 Under-23 Race: :NED & :SWE

Reallocation of Host Quota:

Would go to next nation in Olympic Ranking: :ISR

So, if I have got this ride (not guaranteed at this time of night), but Matthieu van der Poel could line up on the MTB start line in Paris by virtue of the performance of the Dutch under 23 squad.

As for Sagan, unfortunately the Slovakian team didn't really achieve much at the world champs so they will stay ranked around 30th and about 600 points outside of qualifying position. His best prospect of qualifying was likely to have been through reallocation of quotas in the elite race but it looks like he fell well short of what was required. 

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I fear that I may have developed an unhealthy obsession with cycling ranking lists over the course of the last 2 weeks, but if the MTB qualification were to end as of the completion of world champs, I think the quotas on the men's side would be:

Olympic Ranking Quotas (27):

2x :SUI :FRA :ITA :ESP :BEL :GBR :GER :NZL

1 x :BRA :RSA :CAN :DEN :AUT :USA :POL :NOR :ROU :CHI :CZE

Continental Quotas (3)

Africa: TBC - Won by South Africa but reallocated to :NAM

America: :MEX

Asia: TBC - Possibly :JPN based on 2022 Asian Champs

2023 World Championship Quotas:

All of the quotas from the World Champs are subject to reallocation

2023 Elite Race: :LAT & :COL

2023 Under-23 Race: :NED & :SWE

Reallocation of Host Quota:

Would go to next nation in Olympic Ranking: :ISR

So, if I have got this ride (not guaranteed at this time of night), but Matthieu van der Poel could line up on the MTB start line in Paris by virtue of the performance of the Dutch under 23 squad.

As for Sagan, unfortunately the Slovakian team didn't really achieve much at the world champs so they will stay ranked around 30th and about 600 points outside of qualifying position. His best prospect of qualifying was likely to have been through reallocation of quotas in the elite race but it looks like he fell well short of what was required. 

Which I seem to recall was how Tom Pidcock got to Tokyo after reallocation of the quotas from the U23s.