website statistics

Mountain Bike Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 6 months later...

:GBR Squad Announced: Mountain Bike World Championships: Tom Pidcock, Rachel Atherton and Evie Richards in British squad - BBC Sport

Men: Tom Pidcock, Cameron Orr, Cameron Mason 

Women: Evie Richards, Annie Last, Isla Short

With Pidcock also appearing on the long list for the Road events, will be interesting to see if he attempts the double - theoretically the schedule would allow it with the elite road race taking place on Sunday 6th and the short track MTB on Tuesday 8th followed by elite cross country on Saturday 12th

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the plan for :HUN Vas is to win the Olympic quota here in the U23 race. She is planning to race in MB in Paris, not in Road. But she will still appear in some road races in the 2024 season.

Btw, she is now the reigning Hungarian champion in the road race, the road TT, mountain bike and cyclocross. She has managed to win everything this year. :d

Just wondering, would it be possible for her or for anyone to race in both MB and Road at the Games? Has anyone done that in cycling @heywoodu?

Edited by Vektor

10 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Apparently the plan for :HUN Vas is to win the Olympic quota here in the U23 race. She is planning to race in MB in Paris, not in Road. But she will still appear in some road races in the 2024 season.

Btw, she is now the reigning Hungarian champion in the road race, the road TT, mountain bike and cyclocross. She has managed to win everything this year. :d

Just wondering, would it be possible for her or for anyone to race in both MB and Road at the Games? Has anyone done that in cycling @heywoodu?

well, technically it's possible to qualify in all cycling disciplines

among the women, it's quite normal to find girls who are very strong in more than 1 discipline...the best example is :FRA Pauline Ferrand Prevot, who was world champion on the road, in mtb xco and cyclo-cross between 2014 and 2015, when she used to switch between the various events like we change our socks

the Paris schedule I think leaves enough space between mtb xco and road race to start in both events, if someone is so brave and strong to make that effort

20 minutes ago, Vektor said:

No idea about qualifying pathways and such, but in terms of quality Vas would definitely be able to do so. It's of course significantly harder in the men's events, but even there it wouldn't be impossible for the likes of Pidcock or Van der Poel (but probably doing both would be bad for their chances in both, whereas combining them in a strong way might be a bit 'easier' for the women).

It's still not super common though, but Ferrand Prevot, Vas, Rissveds and surely some others would at least be capable of competing in both at the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Okay, that's what I assumed. I think Vas will stay in MB for the Games and the Worlds in the future. She will never get any helpful Hungarian teammates for the road, so MB will always be the more probable medal chance for her. 

9 hours ago, Vektor said:

Okay, that's what I assumed. I think Vas will stay in MB for the Games and the Worlds in the future. She will never get any helpful Hungarian teammates for the road, so MB will always be the more probable medal chance for her. 

That would definitely be the wisest decision, I would say :p 

She's good on the road, but like you said: no Hungarian teammates, whereas in the regular races she is in the team that is a gazillion times stronger than any women's team has ever been basically, so plenty of good teammates there :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

since :SVK has about as much chance of qualifying for the Olympics in mountain biking through the rankings as I have of knocking down a mammoth.

This is going to very likely be the only chance for Peter to fullfil his dream.. and seeing him extending his career for a year on MTB

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

Cross-Country

Men:

Peter Sagan

Matej Ulík

Under 23

Martin Hrtánek

Junior

Matej Švoňava, Lukáš Vranák, Ján Vierik

Viktória Chladoňová, Dorota Vojtíšková

E-MTB

Men:

Martin Knapec

Women:

Simona Kuchyňková

Downhill

Women:

Vanesa Petrovská

52 minutes ago, hckošice said:

since :SVK has about as much chance of qualifying for the Olympics in mountain biking through the rankings as I have of knocking down a mammoth.

Couldn't Sagan have decided to focus on MTB earlier to increase the ranking chance? I'm sure there is some reason why it wasn't possible, I presume his road team didn't allow him or something?