website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

6 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Wait a second, when did he become 20? The real mystery of this entire forum.

In fairness, I called myself 17 the other day, so...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

If that ever happens the IBU would probably switch to those stupid laser riffles and Biathlon will become as boring as Modern Pentathlon’s laser run :/

Yeah, although that's not my main reason for hoping there will be no shooting rampage in biathlon :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Cross country has seen all the changes aka improvements over the last 20 years, Tour de Ski, sprints, team sprints, 10k mass start and etc. and what? It's only Norway and Russia that matter with even Sweden barely competitive outside of the sprints. Meanwhile the old fashioned biathlon has more countries fighting for top spots with its outdated rules, formats and distances. Go and figure.

Yes, I agree there were changes made to cross country that didn’t work. We should either for a solution, or go back to the original. That’s how we solve this stuff. However, there’s no magical solution that will make Russia or Norway less competitive. The sport is part of their culture. We also don’t know that the same will happen in biathlon, which is why should try things in moderation.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

If that ever happens the IBU would probably switch to those stupid laser riffles and Biathlon will become as boring as Modern Pentathlon’s laser run :/

I had that thought replaying in my head more than once or twice. Like one deranged person ruining it for everyone.

At least with 5 bullets in a magazine another biathlete would shoot the 'killer' before too much damage is done. Unless it's Jesipionok, with that 14s standing shooting, nobody would be left alive.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m open to discussion. The discussion you want is “All change is bad, it should be fired into space.”, and I take issue with that. You also love to debate about anything but the actual point of the conversation. 

I said before, don't fix something when it's not broken. Biathlon is not broken by any means and you want to fix it! Why? Just look at the cross country where they made all the format changes and ended up with Norway and doping-tainted Russia as the two-headed monster. Geez, I bet that was the FIS idea all along?

I approve change when it's needed like building elevators along the ski jumping hills. That's a change this particular  sport needs.

Ski jumping was unhappy about the windy conditions so they introduced the compensation points. And now people bitch whether the wind reading was correct because we have people winning events when they're jumping 10 meters shorter than others.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Yeah, although that's not my main reason for hoping there will be no shooting rampage in biathlon :p 

Maybe that’s why we don’t have events in the US...

1 minute ago, Werloc said:

I had that thought replaying in my head more than once or twice. Like one deranged person ruining it for everyone.

At least with 5 bullets in a magazine another biathlete would shoot the 'killer' before too much damage is done. Unless it's Jesipionok, with that 14s standing shooting, nobody would be left alive.

How am I supposed to react to this? I can’t sad cry, laugh, and be serious all at once.

Edited by Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I said before, don't fix something when it's not broken. Biathlon is not broken by any means and you want to fix it! Why? Just look at the cross country where they made all the format changes and ended up with Norway and doping-tainted Russia as the two-headed monster. Geez, I bet that was the FIS idea all along?

I approve change when it's needed like building elevators along the ski jumping hills. That's a change this particular  sport needs.

Ski jumping was unhappy about the windy conditions so they introduced the compensation points. And now people bitch whether the wind reading was correct because we have people winning events when they're jumping 10 meters shorter than others.

That’s your opinion. Looking for improvements is a good thing. It’s how we cure disease, come up with new technology, etc. That’s what set you and me apart. I move forward towards the future, while you stand still. 

I think wind compensation points were a good compromise to a difficult issue.