website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

We didn’t have speakers or commentary at the Soldier Hollow World Cup (at least not that you could hear). I do agree with @Agger that having to watch a race by looking a TV to see the skiing, looking at my phone to see the shooting stats, and using my tablet to look at the times is highly annoying.

Biathlon is a complete niche sport in USA. You used to be right up there in nordic combined too and it's like Steamboat Spring has fallen off the Earth or something now. The rise of freestyle skiing has killed all the traditional winter skiing sports in USA IMO.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Your generation's ideas are usually short-attention span nonsense tbh. Break dance as Olympic sport takes the cake so far :wall:

No! You do not bring goddamn breakdance into the thread of the world's best sport :mad:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

In a time trial over a hundred athletes can start.  In a mass start, 60 maximum.  So they’d be getting rid of all the minor countries.

It has more to do with the format. The sprint works because there’s a tangible loss when someone misses a target.  In individual you really have to be focused on the commentary, skiing, shooting to have any clue what is happening. 

Again, @Agger @Wumo and myself are pro-individual, we just think it’s understandable as to why people don’t like it. There may be ways to make it better for fans, but people so set in pointless tradition and old ways like @heywoodu and @Monzanator won’t accept that we should look at improving the event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Your generation's ideas are usually short-attention span nonsense tbh. Break dance as Olympic sport takes the cake so far :wall:

You’re generation’s greatest contribution to sports was dopped up athletes so...

I sorry I didn’t have 6 hours to watch a race :wacko:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

The sprint works because there’s a tangible loss when someone misses a target.  In individual you really have to be focused on the commentary, skiing, shooting to have any clue what is happening. 

How is there a tangible loss in the sprint and not in the individual? In the latter the penalty is even added to the time literally within two seconds, how can it be more clear?!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

That's the whole idea. The big countries want to create a special environement where only they can dominate. Big nations, big TV markets, big money. Nobody wants someone from Kazakhstan as biathlon's top performer :bye:

I do! ?

Again, not one person had said we should eliminate the individual.

It has more to do with the format. The sprint works because there’s a tangible loss when someone misses a target.  In individual you really have to be focused on the commentary, skiing, shooting to have any clue what is happening. 

Again, @Agger @Wumo and myself are pro-individual, we just think it’s understandable as to why people don’t like it. There may be ways to make it better for fans, but people so set in pointless tradition and old ways like @heywoodu and @Monzanator won’t accept that we should look at improving the event.

Since when getting rid of tradition is automatically an improvement? :mumble: You will be old one day too and then you will be the one dismissed as pointless IMO :p

You’re generation’s greatest contribution to sports was dopped up athletes so...

I sorry I didn’t have 6 hours to watch a race :wacko:

Wrong. Even 50k time trial doesn't last 6 hours.

Like I've said, your generation is all about the short attention span BS. You have nothing to offer beyond that. If any sporting event lasts more than 30 minutes you are bitching about everything.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Biathlon is a complete niche sport in USA. You used to be right up there in nordic combined too and it's like Steamboat Spring has fallen off the Earth or something now. The rise of freestyle skiing has killed all the traditional winter skiing sports in USA IMO.

Well, yeah. People here are drawn to those sports because they’re new and they adapt over time. We’ve also had much more success in them, and our ski resorts are tailored to them. Cross Country skiing requires facilities that are hard to keep up in many parts of the US, and world tours for both Cross Country Skiing and Nordic Combined/Ski Jumping refuse to come to the US or Canada.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No! You do not bring goddamn breakdance into the thread of the world's best sport :mad:

What if we add a round of target shooting in between the two rounds of dancing...

Street biathlon anyone :p