website statistics

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Martynas Alekna, older brother of Mykolas Alekna smashed his PB in the discus throw with a 64.00 throw, only losing to Stahl. 

This is his very first real competitive throw in senior level and a PB of nearly 4 metres.

Perhaps a sign of good things to come? 

19 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Martynas Alekna, older brother of Mykolas Alekna smashed his PB in the discus throw with a 64.00 throw, only losing to Stahl. 

This is his very first real competitive throw in senior level and a PB of nearly 4 metres.

Perhaps a sign of good things to come? 

I was having so much fun responding to all the reactions on Instagram to everyone finding out about his existence,that you beat me to announcing this:lol:.

Yeah,this was a long time coming,I mean he won the under 23 comp at the European throwing cup last year,but that's about the most he's done so far,and obviously no one really cared all that much.Here all his legal throws were bigger than his previous pb,one of the fouls was also big apparently.

Great time to finally break out,doesn't appear like there was any wind help either from the video,so yeah good sign truly

Hopefully we see three male Lithuanian discus throwers at the world champs this year:clap:.

Edited by Biathlonfan

1 minute ago, Biathlonfan said:

I was having  so much fun responding to all the reactions on instagram toeveryone finding out about his existance,that you beat me to announcing this:lol:.

Yeah,this was a long time coming,I mean he won the under 23 comp at the european throwing cup last year,but that's about the most he's done so far,and obviously no one really cared all that much.Here all his legal throws were bigger than his previous pb,one of the fouls was also big apparently.

Great time to finally break out,doesn't appear like there was any wind help either from the video,so yeah good sign truly

Hopefully we see three male Lithuanian discus throwers at the world champs this year:clap:.

Two more results around 64 metres and I think that qualification through rating is very very likely.

Jusis kept talking about how Martynas is very talented and that he'll throw very far, but I struggled to believe him, especially after last season where Martynas was perma stuck throwing below 60 metres. I thought it would be another Poška incident again, but it seems that there's hope for him to develop yet. 

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Two more results around 64 metres and I think that qualification through rating is very very likely.

Jusis kept talking about how Martynas is very talented and that he'll throw very far, but I struggled to believe him, especially after last season where Martynas was perma stuck throwing below 60 metres. I thought it would be another Poška incident again, but it seems that there's hope for him to develop yet. 

Jusis very much backs up what he claims,obviously Mykolas pretty much always manages to exceed expectations,but the track record for the coach with My own name[like with the paralympic athletes he coaches] is very positive.

Martynas clearly developed later,much more like his Dad than his baby brother,[also looks much more like Dad,so him taking dad's route to stardom rather than his own is kinda poetic]it would almost have been too insane if he had started throwing bombs before or at the same time that Mykolas was.

Also,i saw on Lnk last summer Mykolas claiming that he thinks Martynas is even more talented than him,and could go farther,now i scoffed at this originally,but I don't really see Mykolas making this claim just for the lols,and hey now at the very least we should be safe from a bad blood jealousy fourcade issue.

Two good FTA events this weekend, both on the European Athletics YT channel.

1. Night of the 10,000m PBs from London on Saturday. Whole lot of races, top of the bill races start at 20:00 UK.
  2. European Race Walking Team Champs from Podebrady on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/@EuropeanAthletics/streams