website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Same here in :GBR. I, and other big athletics fans, enjoyed seeing all levels of athletics, that’s an improvement over the old system with all four divisions at once over the same weekend. Otherwise it’s a flop.

OK....I agree, let's look at the problem.

1. For all the talk months ago about EBU, certainly here both BBC and RTÉ barely care. I'm really not sure how to fix that.

2. This thing was hobbled from the outset by lack of Western interest - if that sounds biased, sue me, but there's a reason the European Championships events worked in Berlin, Munich and Glasgow, despite some questionable presentation choices, and one of them was the hosts chosen - I'm glad Krakow stepped in to save the event, and I acknowledge the difficulties in a first 'post-Covid' games, but this needs to go somehwere next with a history of supporting these kind of events to the hilt, and that means go west son - sadly, I don't think the interest exists anywhere there - but if the European Championship model is in trouble as it looks, that may change things a little.

3. The IOC need to pull rank, and emphasise that this is a major part of the Olympic narrative, not just some random Games - and that means thinking hard about the programme.  The IWGF maybe should also be publically involved for the non-Olympic sports. And the European federations need to stop sulking.

4. Patience. Sure, some events take off instantly, but some take a good while. EG is clearly going to be the latter.

5. Again, the sports programme needs to be looked at with a certain ruthlessness. The Team championships concept Knda worked and swimming should maybe be encouraged to follow suit with some sort of LEN Nations Cup. They might also consider including a "European Relays", mirroring the World Relays, as a direct qualification event, even if only for one quota per event. And we need swimming, gymnastics and track cycling back - they form much of the skeleton of a games

FENCING

Women's Team Foil
Final Results

:ITA Italy

Martina Batini

Martina Favaretto

Francesca Palumbo

Alice Volpi

:FRA France

Anita Blaze

Morgane Patru

Pauline Ranvier