website statistics

Tennis

Josh

• 5 months later...

Been a pretty dull tennis season for Canadians (not unless you’re a fan of other players like me), but we’re back!

Felix Auger-Aliassime with a confidence boosting win at the Madrid Open ATP 1000, defeating Casper Ruud 6-4, 7-5 to advance to the quarterfinals! He was on fire throughout the match, tallied 33 winners and 13 unforced errors. Pretty good for only two sets of tennis. Quarterfinals tomorrow against Jannik Sinner, 2-0 H2H in favor of him but the last meeting was at the Cincinnati Masters in 2022. However, he’s been struggling with right hip issues throughout the tournament, so maybe FAA can take advantage of that. 

22 hours ago, Josh said:

Been a pretty dull tennis season for Canadians (not unless you’re a fan of other players like me), but we’re back!

Felix Auger-Aliassime with a confidence boosting win at the Madrid Open ATP 1000, defeating Casper Ruud 6-4, 7-5 to advance to the quarterfinals! He was on fire throughout the match, tallied 33 winners and 13 unforced errors. Pretty good for only two sets of tennis. Quarterfinals tomorrow against Jannik Sinner, 2-0 H2H in favor of him but the last meeting was at the Cincinnati Masters in 2022. However, he’s been struggling with right hip issues throughout the tournament, so maybe FAA can take advantage of that. 

FAA advances to the semifinals after Sinner withdraws with injury. Medvedev/Lehecka up next on Friday. 

Auger-Aliassime through to his first career Masters 1000 final at the Madrid Open. Yet another retirement/walkover going in favor of the Canadian, this time Lehecka due to a back injury. Coincidentally, Lehecka advanced over Medvedev in the quarterfinals also due to a back injury retirement. 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

ics with his current 112 ranking? In Tokyo the player who took t

He's currently 72nd on the list given the four per country max and the fact :CHN Zhang is qualified form the Asian Games (which takes priority over the world ranking when it comes to allocating quotas to countries).

If he wins his next match he'll be 62nd (or 63rd if :SVK Kovalík goes further than him), which should be safe.

None of this accounts for protected rankings, which can be used to qualify for the Olympics.

Looking into it a bit more, a protected ranking must be valid as of June 27th to be used for Olympic qualification. I know Shapovalov used a protected ranking to qualify for the French Open, but I'm not sure when it expires.

Edit: based on my understanding of the rules if Shapovalov hasn't used eight or more protected ranking entries since coming back from injury then he is allowed to use a protected ranking to qualify for the Olympics.

Edited by NearPup

8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Looking into it a bit more, a protected ranking must be valid as of June 27th to be used for Olympic qualification. I know Shapovalov used a protected ranking to qualify for the French Open, but I'm not sure when it expires.

Edit: based on my understanding of the rules if Shapovalov hasn't used eight or more protected ranking entries since coming back from injury then he is allowed to use a protected ranking to qualify for the Olympics.

How many tournaments has Shapo used PR for?

Another question, is there a limit to how many athletes qualify through PR?

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

How many tournaments has Shapo used PR for?

Another question, is there a limit to how many athletes qualify through PR?

I don't know, and I don't think there is a way to know without going through all 13 tournaments (by my count) he's played since his injury and counting them.

There is a nine month limit (which isn't an issue here) and a nine tournament limit, but the nine tournament limit only applies for tournaments entered using the protected ranking, wild cards and direct entry doesn't count.

There is no limit to how many athletes qualify through PR. It counts the same as a regular ranking, but the "real" ranking holds the tie breaker.