website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Wedding Traditions of your Nation

DaniSRB

Just now, MHSN said:

Regarding the main topic of "wedding" I don't know where to start, the whole thing is completely different here and even each region has its own tradition and people are also different, depends on how religious they are. even though nowadays tradition is getting weaker and weaker and people usually just do what they want.

but nobody brings cake :d that's the host's duty. obviously no church :d (and of course no mosque)

are there belly dancers? :D

28 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well, our weddings are not particularly different, maybe the traditional kidnapping of the bride perhaps is not so usual abroad  http://distinctexperiences.com/sk/slovakian-wedding/

a kidnapping of the bride

what is the meaning of custom?

Just now, DaniSRB said:

lol I never saw people bring "dancers" to their wedding. they just dance themselves. and no belly dancing is not a Persian tradition, never existed in main part of Iran except the Arab provinces in south west. never attended a wedding there, so I have no idea :d

and speaking of customs, nobody except the bride wears anything unusual. people wear what they wear in any other party.

Just now, DaniSRB said:

what is the meaning of custom?

well, the man has to go look for her and find her, I guess it is supposed to show how big the chemistry between them will be during the marriage, if the man is able to find his wife quickly, don´t ask me why we have such tradition :lol:

10 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

Oddly enough, my schools calculus teacher was a male belly dancer. His ethnicity is Egyptian though, so I’m going to assume that belly dancing is an Arab or Egyptian tradition.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well in Indonesia it depends of the ethnic group...

But a basic Islamic wedding will consist of:

1. Delivering gifts to the bride

2. Doing an akad, usually in the bride's house or a mosque. Basically in front of family and friends, the groom will have to say "I wed (bride's name) with xxx as dowry". Then the official will ask to those present whether the akad is legal or not (of course everyone will agree unless you are making a reality show or soap opera :p )

3. Have a wedding reception (usually this often happen on the road(!) and causes road closure). The bride and the groom with their families will sit at the "pelaminan" where the coming guests will congratulate the couple first before enjoying the meal.

Different ethnic group will have stuff like bridal shower or certain ritual dances.

I don't know much about weddings but there isn't any very particular tradition here. Usually you have bachelor party a few days before, then people get married in a church (if religious) and in the appropiate government venue (usually this two ceremonies take place in different days). For the religious ceremony usually the bride wears white wedding dress, for the civil one just any dress of her liking. After the ceremonies you have party in a place you rent, there guests bring gifts (most usually just money, like the "busta" described by the italian user the previous page) and eat and party for many hours. That's it.

10 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well, the man has to go look for her and find her, I guess it is supposed to show how big the chemistry between them will be during the marriage, if the man is able to find his wife quickly, don´t ask me why we have such tradition :lol:

I saw this in an American TV show :lol: the groom wasn't from Slovakia though

17 minutes ago, MHSN said:

lol I never saw people bring "dancers" to their wedding. they just dance themselves. and no belly dancing is not a Persian tradition, never existed in main part of Iran except the Arab provinces in south west. never attended a wedding there, so I have no idea :d

and speaking of customs, nobody except the bride wears anything unusual. people wear what they wear in any other party.

i saw that in one series where was Arab wedding so was not sure if it is Persian tradition too :D