website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

I don't think Congo should be disqualified, it is the 4th referee ineptitude that allowed this. They should be keeping track of the substitutions and preventing teams from making illegal ones.  

It's not different than the main ref allowing a handball goal, it's the referees job to enforce the rules.

At best the match should be replayed.

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

I don't think Congo should be disqualified, it is the 4th referee ineptitude that allowed this. They should be keeping track of the substitutions and preventing teams from making illegal ones.  

It's not different than the main ref allowing a handball goal, it's the referees job to enforce the rules.

At best the match should be replayed.

It's not the referee's responsibility to correct the mistake. If a coach messes up, that is his responsibility.

Reminds me how Otto Rehhagel mismanaged the 3 non-EU players rule that was in operation in the 90s. Hany Ramzy had to fake an injury to "validate" the substitution. FCK still lost the game 2-3 so Bochum didn't file a protest.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Knowing our luck, we'll draw Portugal in the playoffs :evil:

We play Hungary tonight, a complete dead rubber, Lewandowski & Glik won't play due to a coach's decision.

Poland will be seeded though, right? So I guess they'll avoid Portugal for the first round of the playoffs but could possibly play them in the second round.

Poland is actually my favourite team in the playoffs (assuming the Netherlands qualify directly)

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

so unless there are specific rules for international matches Benin will be awarded the win.

Not exactly the same rule but Greece and Turkey played a 0-0 friendly in 2015. It was later revealed that Greece fielded an ineligible player as a substitute and Turkey was awarded a 3-0 win.

Obviously this rule is different but it still is about substitutions.

24 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Poland will be seeded though, right? So I guess they'll avoid Portugal for the first round of the playoffs but could possibly play them in the second round.

Poland is actually my favourite team in the playoffs (assuming the Netherlands qualify directly)

Poland can be seeded even with a draw vs Hungary since Wales & Scotland would have to beat Belgium & Denmark to begin with so yeah, we will probably be seeded and avoid Portugal in R1. But there's always R2 :p

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Hmmm, both Fonseca at Roma and Van Bommel at Wolfsburg committed mistakes in doing subs recently and they were sanctioned with a loss, so unless there are specific rules for international matches Benin will be awarded the win.

I'm talking about what should be -in my opinion- not what will actually be sanctioned. 

4th official directly authorizes substitutions so they should be held responsible for such mistakes.