website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

Yes, no possibility of Rhasidat running the women's relay heat. We can qualify without her though as long as all of Healy,Becker and Mawdsley are available. In that regard it's better from a wider Irish point of view if Mawdsley doesn't make the individual final - she'd only be an outside shot for it in any case.

We should also be able to qualify for the mixed final without Adeleke so there may be an agreement for her to sit out that heat also to help her individual chances. That would still mean her running five 400s in eight days, though the individual heats on the 5th should be a relative stroll for her. For Mawdsley it's looking like six races in nine days, or the nightmare scenario of seven in nine if she ends up in the individual repechage.

Cathal Dennehy this morning laying the seeds for her to skip the mixed relay completely, which would be a shame. 

Was running the mixed relay this week the reason she didn't beat Kaczmarek in the individual 400? Possibly.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Cathal Dennehy this morning laying the seeds for her to skip the mixed relay completely, which would be a shame. 

Was running the mixed relay this week the reason she didn't beat Kaczmarek in the individual 400? Possibly.

She’d only skip the heats. No way she’d pass up the opportunity for an Olympic medal in the relay if they are in the final.

Edited by OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

She’d only skip the heats. No way she’d pass up the opportunity for an Olympic medal in the relay if they are in the final.

And an opportunity for her team mates as well. That would be a factor too.

Hopefully. But athletics at the top end is a very individual sport. She'll get three goes at the individual 400 in the Olympics in her career. Maybe four if she's very lucky. Sometimes you have to be selfish to give yourself every chance to fulfil your own career goals. An an individual medal is a bigger achievement than a relay one.

I hope she does do the mixed final if we're in it, as it's probably the better medal shot of the two relays. But I guess I'm already bracing myself for the reality that she might pass on it and be fully within her rights to do so.

58 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Hopefully. But athletics at the top end is a very individual sport. She'll get three goes at the individual 400 in the Olympics in her career. Maybe four if she's very lucky. Sometimes you have to be selfish to give yourself every chance to fulfil your own career goals. An an individual medal is a bigger achievement than a relay one.

I hope she does do the mixed final if we're in it, as it's probably the better medal shot of the two relays. But I guess I'm already bracing myself for the reality that she might pass on it and be fully within her rights to do so.

She has to do what’s best for herself alright. But you don’t pass up the chance of any Olympic medal either.

Encouraging interview with Rhasidat's coach in the Examiner today. Wasn't happy with her individual 400 in Rome and thinks there's a lot more in the tank. Undecided yet on the mixed relay but it's clear it will be his decision.

Gold for Ireland in the Men's Double Sculls (Lynch/Doyle) at World Cup III this morning. A lot of Olympic crews are skipping this event so I'll leave it to someone more clued in than me on rowing to predict where that leaves this boat ahead of Paris. But possibly they might be our best bet for a second rowing medal after O'Donovan/McCarthy.

It’s been a completely disjointed season for a lot of crews, including most of ours 

It’s good that they won and the Olympic crews of Germany, NZ and France were behind then but they were behind them last year too. 

womens pair were second ahead of the Danish Olympic boat that won the recent qualifier. A decent bit off the Australian pair that won silver last year (Ireland 4th)