website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

McKayla Maroney won an Olympic silver landing flat on her ass on 50% of her vaults :lol: Haven't seen any sport determined more by bad judgement than gymnastics. Figure skating is for insiders, others simply look for cool outfits and music. Not to mention the sport is notoriously boring in first place.

I think that Artistic Gymnastics has gotten better now...

I wouldn’t say that actually. It’s all about the choreography and timing. There were multiple routines over the last few days that I truly enjoyed. I think women’s skating is boring because it’s almost like people want them to be the opposite of physical. They want slow and graceful, and that just ruins skating.

It’s hard to judge art though, and that’s where I’m conflicted about artistic sports. On the one hand, I love comparing performances. On the other hand, I hate judging art, because art is subjective to the eyes of the person it’s created, and it can be perceived differently by every single person watching. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think that Artistic Gymnastics has gotten better now...

I wouldn’t say that actually. It’s all about the choreography and timing. There were multiple routines over the last few days that I truly enjoyed. I think women’s skating is boring because it’s almost like people want them to be the opposite of physical. They want slow and graceful, and that just ruins skating.

It’s hard to judge art though, and that’s where I’m conflicted about artistic sports. On the one hand, I love comparing performances. On the other hand, I hate judging art, because art is subjective to the eyes of the person it’s created, and it can be perceived differently by every single person watching. 

Power gymnastics has killed all the elegance & finesse in gymnastics, now it's like robots performing drills for the highest score. Base value or whatever that's called determines who wins each event barring a major error but Maroney still won a medal despite landing on her ass. That should be impossible.

As for figure skating there is the artistic impression value that prevents this sport going all power skating like in gymnastics. They got rid of the compulsory figures which used to be more important than actual skating programmes. They allowed vocals in background music and hell, it's no longer all classic violin & piano music anymore either. Figure skating has evolved a lot over the past 30 years but grace & elegance don't ruin this sport at all. All of these skaters have background training in gymnastics & ballet in first place.

There's nothing artistic in artistic gymnastics anymore but it's still there in figure skating. After all it's mostly about dance and dance is an art. Gymnastics is only a bunch of moves during a routine that has nothing artistic about it, even the floor exercises are boring as hell these days.

44 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

McKayla Maroney won an Olympic silver landing flat on her ass on 50% of her vaults :lol:Haven't seen any sport determined more by bad judgement than gymnastics. Figure skating is for insiders, others simply look for cool outfits and music. Not to mention the sport is notoriously boring in first place.

Men's artistic gymnastics is very fair overall. I can't even remember the last time I completely disagreed with a major medal result, but women's artistic gymnastics is a joke nowadays. Daiane dos Santos lost an Olympic medal on floor because she stepped out of bounds with one foot in 2004, but in 2019 Biles basically messed her routine with several steps out of bounds and uncontrolled landing, but still won gold comfortably. This would never have happened in men's artistic gymnastics. Uchimura had the best floor routine of the competition in 2016, but he stepped out of bounds and finished out of the podium. The women's technical committee in artistic gymnastics, led by Nellie Kim, is a complete disgrace. They just can't pull their heads out of their asses.

44 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Power gymnastics has killed all the elegance & finesse in gymnastics, now it's like robots performing drills for the highest score. Base value or whatever that's called determines who wins each event barring a major error but Maroney still won a medal despite landing on her ass. That should be impossible.

As for figure skating there is the artistic impression value that prevents this sport going all power skating like in gymnastics. They got rid of the compulsory figures which used to be more important than actual skating programmes. They allowed vocals in background music and hell, it's no longer all classic violin & piano music anymore either. Figure skating has evolved a lot over the past 30 years but grace & elegance don't ruin this sport at all. All of these skaters have background training in gymnastics & ballet in first place.

There's nothing artistic in artistic gymnastics anymore but it's still there in figure skating. After all it's mostly about dance and dance is an art. Gymnastics is only a bunch of moves during a routine that has nothing artistic about it, even the floor exercises are boring as hell these days.

Clearly, as everything, we see this very, very differently.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Even in rhythmic gymnastics things have changed substantially (Kapranova had big mistakes in 2008 and didn't get a medal), but I have to say I'm completely unaware of the rules of figure skating. It's a sport I find unbearably boring. The jumps all look the same, the long program is, well, too long to keep my interest and most of the performances are over the top and tacky.

I find it more fan-friendly than artistic gymnastics. Jumps are actually very distinct, and there are not many different elements overall. Without particularly trying, at this point I know the code of points by heart, and I like too keep track of the math of each performance.

In the end I just prefer sports where there is a lot of thinking involved (equestrian, curling, skating). I can watch them quite regularly, while stuff like 100m dash I can only follow once a year.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I find it more fan-friendly than artistic gymnastics. Jumps are actually very distinct, and there are not many different elements overall. Without particularly trying, at this point I know the code of points by heart, and I like too keep track of the math of each performance.

In the end I just prefer sports where there is a lot of thinking involved (equestrian, curling, skating). I can watch them quite regularly, while stuff like 100m dash I can only follow once a year.

Yes that’s the big draw to sports like Curling and Artistic Swimming for me. I love the thinking aspect because it take more than athletic ability to win.

New Zealand's Campbell Wright finally got his shooting under control and hit nine out of ten targets today....after 28 (of 98) guys at shooting 2 he is leading by 22 seconds!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Zawol :POL is faster and will beat him, still a few more dangerous guys to come including Norwegian Thon.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!