website statistics

Pacific Games 2019

Totallympics

:WLF have found gold in javelin with a throw of 62.41m. That was about a 10m difference back to second place.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

This has to be the smallest Boxing venue ever! It’s like if your local place worship’s mess hall held a boxing tournament.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Textbook brutal knockout from the :SAM boxer over the :SOL boxer. I felt that one through my IPad.

Anyone knows if there were any controversial incidents so far? :mumble:I was pretty shocked when I read all the stuff that happened the last time Apia hosted the games. To quote wikipedia:

The religious sensitivities of the host nation (which is primarily Congregationalist Christian) and other participants resulted in several controversial decisions during the organisation and running of the Games.

Athletes in the women's beach volleyball event were required to wear shorts and T-shirts as opposed to the regulation bikini-style outfits to avoid offending family members and other spectators.

A leaked internal memo by Team Samoa authorities was circulated prior to the event warning Samoan athletes not to engage in homosexual intercourse declaring it as "ungodly", stating: "do not embarrass yourself, your family and your country by trying this in the village...Best not to even think about this. It's against the law of God!" Such activity is prohibited under Samoan law and punishable by up to five years' imprisonment. However, the ban on homosexual intercourse was later lifted by organising committee chairman Tapasu Lueng Wai.

A campaign to issue athletes condoms and advice on sexually transmitted infections also met with resistance from religious leaders. The Archbishop of the Catholic Church in Samoa, Alapati Mataeliga suggested that, in doing so, the authorities were encouraging extra-marital sexual activity which was frowned upon by the church.[ Games authorities also back-tracked on plans to issue athletes with female condoms after fears it might "expose young athletes to sex." Male condoms were nevertheless distributed.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

9 hours ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Anyone knows if there were any controversial incidents so far? :mumble:I was pretty shocked when I read all the stuff that happened the last time Apia hosted the games. To quote wikipedia:

The religious sensitivities of the host nation (which is primarily Congregationalist Christian) and other participants resulted in several controversial decisions during the organisation and running of the Games.

Athletes in the women's beach volleyball event were required to wear shorts and T-shirts as opposed to the regulation bikini-style outfits to avoid offending family members and other spectators.

A leaked internal memo by Team Samoa authorities was circulated prior to the event warning Samoan athletes not to engage in homosexual intercourse declaring it as "ungodly", stating: "do not embarrass yourself, your family and your country by trying this in the village...Best not to even think about this. It's against the law of God!" Such activity is prohibited under Samoan law and punishable by up to five years' imprisonment. However, the ban on homosexual intercourse was later lifted by organising committee chairman Tapasu Lueng Wai.

A campaign to issue athletes condoms and advice on sexually transmitted infections also met with resistance from religious leaders. The Archbishop of the Catholic Church in Samoa, Alapati Mataeliga suggested that, in doing so, the authorities were encouraging extra-marital sexual activity which was frowned upon by the church.[ Games authorities also back-tracked on plans to issue athletes with female condoms after fears it might "expose young athletes to sex." Male condoms were nevertheless distributed.

Yes and No. :SAM is an extremely religious society, so their have been conflicts once again. The opening ceremony had a pastor speaking for about 10 minutes and two church songs as well as Christian prayer. No events were held on Sunday. A weather cleared right before the opening ceremony and it has been called a gift from god by the Samoans.

9 hours ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

They’re also not huge fans of Laurel Hubbard. The newspaper’s lead story is a harsh piece about her and the opinion section has transphobic written all over it.

I was copying and pasting flags for my replays PDF and realized that there is only one country’s flag I have yet to post. So sorry to :MHL for not giving them time in the spotlight apparently.

22 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Do you know how sailing competition is going? I tried to find some information about Laser participants but I couldn't find anything.

Etienne Le Pen of :NCL seems to be the big favorite. I don’t believe he’s lost a single race yet. There are two fleets though, so It could come down to the medal race. You can find more information here: https://m.facebook.com/Oceania-Sailing-Federation-1422865308017236/

Edited by Olympian1010

Time For Day 9. I’m much more ready to watch today than I was yesterday. I’m ready for some more “interesting” action. Anyone else watching today?

Edited by Olympian1010