website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2018

bestmen

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

how come Chayuttra Pramongkhol can easily become Sirivimon Pramongkhol . they change name very easly and frequently. looks like whenever they get bored :d

Many Thai change their names to bring them good luck, and athletes in dire situation are the most likely to do that ;)

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

@MHSN What do you think about the 109kg? Apparently bookmakers have Martirosyan as huge favourite, but shouldn't Nurudinov at least be somewhat close? I mean, Martirosyan's biggest results in terms of kg's all came when he was well over 109kg, while Nurudinov's best results mostly came around 105kg.

hmmm, Martirosyan's entry is much better but then we know Armenians usually post entries much higher than their capabilities. and on other hand Nurudinov usually doesn't show his cards and post low entries. if you ask me I still pick Nurudinov. Armenians are good but they rarely win the whole thing. (actually only one gold in whole history !!)

Edited by MHSN

12 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I know, but since I don't follow the sport very much I was just wondering if these improvements were expected or it is gravity to be lower in Turkmenistan :)

It's weightlifting, medal winners are going to be caught, I have absolutely no doubt.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

how come Chayuttra Pramongkhol can easily become Sirivimon Pramongkhol . they change name very easly and frequently. looks like whenever they get bored :d

Here they have both names listed for her:

http://www.iwrp.net/component/cwyniki/?view=contestant&id_zawodnik=16071

So maybe it's just an administrative thing :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Many Thai change their names to bring them good luck, and athletes in dire situation are the most likely to do that ;)

Yeah I read about that. when Junpim Kuntatean changed her name to Prapawadee Jaroenrattanatarakoon to get luck and she won the Olympic gold after that :d

even though I prefer to not make fun of other country's culture and respect them all but this one is a bit funny.

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yeah I read about that. when Junpim Kuntatean changed her name to Prapawadee Jaroenrattanatarakoon to get luck and she won the Olympic gold after that :d

even though I prefer to not make fun of other country's culture and respect them all but this one is a bit funny.

Prapawadee is somewhat annoying since she changed her surname too (I think her whole family also change theirs, since according to the Thai law people of the same surname must be related)

30 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Just like all those Thai fighters changing their names to whatever their sponsor wants, such as Knockout CP Freshmart :p 

4 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Just like all those Thai fighters changing their names to whatever their sponsor wants, such as Knockout CP Freshmart :p 

also the great boxers of a few years ago (late Eighties), brothers Kaokor and Khaosai Galaxy took their names from their activity...Galaxy was the name of the gym where they used to train (and their main sponsor, too)...