website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Just now, heywoodu said:

No, but of course it would be rather inappropriate to have the Russian flag swinging around left and right at this very moment :p 

Actually, this is a question of ethics, and i dont think that ethics is something important both for Russia and western states, no matter what they claim.

To emphasise, i dont refer to ordinary people but to heads of states. 

Banning everything related to Russia is usual thing nowadays but its completelly useless. What has changed for the last 300 days? Did Russia changed its policy? 

Why these ordinary athletes have to suffer because Putin decided to do this unnecessary agression? Because people are sensitive when they see a flag?

My country was banned in 1992. So i personally remember all that. And believe me, that decision was pointless on so many levels.  

Germany and Austria killed millions of Serbs in the both WW. Should i blame ordinary people cause of that?

To cut the story short, i am against any sport bans. Sport should connect people.

International sport is political. It’s frankly nonsense to suggest it’s just about connecting people. No worse example than the Germany you mention. The 1936 Olympics was total propaganda. East Germany after the break up showed how much sport was used to project fake values from a country.  The governments involved couldn’t care less what ordinary people thought. 

Russia should be banned from the Olympics for about 10 different reasons - many of them sporting. 

And other countries should be too. It doesn’t matter if it helps or not. There must be a minimum standard of human rights etc for a country to be allowed participate in international sport IMO

Edited by dodge

1 hour ago, dodge said:

International sport is political. It’s frankly nonsense to suggest it’s just about connecting people. No worse example than the Germany you mention. The 1936 Olympics was total propaganda. East Germany after the break up showed how much sport was used to project fake values from a country.  The governments involved couldn’t care less what ordinary people thought. 

Russia should be banned from the Olympics for about 10 different reasons - many of them sporting. 

And other countries should be too. It doesn’t matter if it helps or not. There must be a minimum standard of human rights etc for a country to be allowed participate in international sport IMO

It would be nice to quote, as you refering to my post.

Nonsense is a statement that is one of the core motivations in organising Olympic games? Statement that was said million times before, by almost every major sport offficial?

With all due respect, i suggest you to read more about IOC history. 

Every sport fan knows that sport is often a vehicle for other targets, not just East Germany or USSR but also USA, China or any other big country used and still uses sport to manifest geopolitical domination or something else. So what? Can IOC stop that? It could. But will they? Surely not.

Russia should be banned cause they use doping as normal policy. But not because someone doesnt like it as a country.

For the last part, banning because someone violates human rights...

Indeed morally correct but you know that almost every western country could be banned for that same reason? 

Saudi Arabia still decapitates people for petty crimes but its ok for western world cause they are USA ally. Same goes for at least 100 countries. Women rights are still non existent in many countries. We should ban them too? LGBT rights are another topic. What about those countries? So your POV isnt quite clear, with all due respect.

USA should be permanently banned from Olympics just because they destroyed few dozens countries but why would athletes suffer, like i already said...

It’s nonsense if you actually believe that sport is apolitical. The IOC and others say a lot of things they don’t mean

yes, most of the countries you mention should be banned too 

Edited by dodge

• 1 month later...

Reuters News Report

Former sprinter Irina Privalova, a four-time Olympic medallist who now serves as deputy head of Russia’s athletics federation, dismissed the suggestion that dissidents among Russian athletes could be allowed to compete as refugees.

“Athletes and any Russian citizen who does not support the president’s (Vladimir Putin’s) decision should not represent the country,” she told Reuters.

“I think those who don’t support (Russia’s special military operation in Ukraine) have already left. The ones who remain are those who support it.”