website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, Monzanator said:

Thompson looked very slow in 100m already. There was no doubt she won't threaten DAS in the 200m and it's no wonder she pulled out. If Ta Lou didn't win a medal in 100m I guess she'd have entered 200m and maybe challenged DAS. Schippers was a non-factor all season tbh.

I picked Thiam for gold but I was unaware the elbow issue will kill her JV so much. Likewise I didn't think Thompson would be so awful here.

Yeah, all of that might be true, but i was talking about the perspective from before the start of this competition. I think "back then" many/most people favored Thompson/SAFP over DAS and Thiam over KJT. Of course after the javelin throw Kaul was the favorite for gold, but before the start of the competition noone thought that he could win gold.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Mayer is 27yo and current WR holder so he's looking good to remain as the King ;)

Yeah, that was kind of my point, he isnt too old to get back to the top. I dont think that you can say that he is looking good to "remain the king". Whoever wins the title is the king, so currently Kaul is the king. We dont know by how much Kaul will improve next year (this year he improved by more than 400 points), but of course Mayer still is the clear favorite for Tokyo. Still we cant forget that a) this is the second big competition in a row where he didnt get a result and b) he still needs to get the qualifying mark for Tokyo next year and he said that he cant do 2 decathlons in one year, so it might be kind of tricky for him to plan the next year.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I am really surprised by some of the comments on here. I remember before the start of the competition some canadian user said that the canadian men (all sports combined) might not win a single medal in Tokyo and now that they already have 5 medals there are still complaints ...

I would really like to see the predictions by those people ... personally i only expected one silver medal for Canada here (by Warner), so for me Canada is way overperforming already, but maybe thats just me ...

I think if Canada could win 2 or 3 medals in athletics in Tokyo it would be a great result for them and i wouldnt bet anything on them winning more medals than that.

According to Wikipedia Kaul is now only the 10th athlete to win gold at youth, junior and senior level. The other 9 who did it are Adams, Campbell-Brown, Stevens, Pittman, Isinbayeva, Storl, Bolt, James and Freitag. He is also the first to do it since Storl and James did it in 2011 and only the 3rd european athlete to do it.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

I am really surprised by some of the comments on here. I remember before the start of the competition some canadian user said that the canadian men (all sports combined) might not win a single medal in Tokyo and now that they already have 5 medals there are still complaints ...

I would really like to see the predictions by those people ... personally i only expected one silver medal for Canada here (by Warner), so for me Canada is way overperforming already, but maybe thats just me ...

I think if Canada could win 2 or 3 medals in athletics in Tokyo it would be a great result for them and i wouldnt bet anything on them winning more medals than that.

Basically, it came down to De Grasse. He won 3/6 of the medals in athletics for Canada in Rio.  He's been injured and hasn't really produced since then, so it just depended on whether he was back in form for Doha or not.  He definitely seems to be, so going to Tokyo Canada has some good shots at some medals.  Warner was expected, but Dunphee in race walking and Ahmed in the 5000 were surprises.  Not huge shocks since both of them finished 4th in Rio, but they're still probably not favourites for medals next year.  

I'm happy with Canada's performance so far.  Not just medals, but making finals and semis as well.  The only disappointment, if you can call it that, is Warner.  But with decathlon, anything can and often does happen.  

Just now, orangeman said:

Basically, it came down to De Grasse. He won 3/6 of the medals in athletics for Canada in Rio.  He's been injured and hasn't really produced since then, so it just depended on whether he was back in form for Doha or not.  He definitely seems to be, so going to Tokyo Canada has some good shots at some medals.  Warner was expected, but Dunphee in race walking and Ahmed in the 5000 were surprises.  Not huge shocks since both of them finished 4th in Rio, but they're still probably not favourites for medals next year.  

I'm happy with Canada's performance so far.  Not just medals, but making finals and semis as well.  The only disappointment, if you can call it that, is Warner.  But with decathlon, anything can and often does happen.  

I think the guy who won a medal in race walking is called Dunfee. Both mens 50 km race walking and mens 5000 m seem very open. Both canadian guys could win gold next year or finish without a medal. I dont see a medal for Warner next year and 1 or 2 bronze medals for De Grasse at best. Not sure any other canadian athletes realistically could win a medal in Tokyo. Watson, Debues-Stafford, Crew and Newman are all progressing nicely, but i still would be surprised to see them winning a medal. Also your womens 4 x 400 m relay seems to be in a good place although i think they are more likely to finish 5th here than to win bronze. Your mens 4 x 100 m relay cant be considered a medal favorite here or in Tokyo (at this point). I think GB, Japan, China and the US are all more likely to medal and other nations like Jamaica or the Netherlands are not far off.

Edited by OlympicsFan

12 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah, that was kind of my point, he isnt too old to get back to the top. I dont think that you can say that he is looking good to "remain the king". Whoever wins the title is the king, so currently Kaul is the king. We dont know by how much Kaul will improve next year (this year he improved by more than 400 points), but of course Mayer still is the clear favorite for Tokyo. Still we cant forget that a) this is the second big competition in a row where he didnt get a result and b) he still needs to get the qualifying mark for Tokyo next year and he said that he cant do 2 decathlons in one year, so it might be kind of tricky for him to plan the next year.

You don't win the title of the King, mind you. Dan O'Brien didn't even take part in 1992 OG but everyone knew he was the King back then ;)  Just because Mayer DNF here, it doesn't mean he's not the best decathlete right now.

20 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah, all of that might be true, but i was talking about the perspective from before the start of this competition. I think "back then" many/most people favored Thompson/SAFP over DAS and Thiam over KJT. Of course after the javelin throw Kaul was the favorite for gold, but before the start of the competition noone thought that he could win gold.

I didn't pick Mayer to win ANY medal. I just didn't buy his chance to last 10 events after a poor season where he didn't finish a single event IIRC. I wonder how many TO users left Mayer out of the medals here? :p