website statistics

South American Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Well, 10 golds in a day is great despite one or two screw ups. 

I'd guess we should win between 5 and 10 more in the last 3 days. There seem to be a lot that will be 50/50 chances, though I have no idea of our level in things like Bochas and Squash (it looks like there was good performance in both today).

Medal Table (After Day 11)

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 :BRA Brazil 103 75 60 238
2 :COL Colombia 53 62 76 191
3 :ARG Argentina 36 45 60 141
4 :CHI Chile 30 21 46 97
5 :VEN Venezuela 21 29 47 97
6 :ECU Ecuador 16 10 20 46
7 :PER Peru 13 13 27 53
8 :PAR Paraguay 6 15 11 32
9 :URU Uruguay 6 13 14 33
10 :ARU Aruba 3 3 0 6
11 :PAN Panama 2 1 5 8
12 :GUY Guyana 0 1 2 3
13 :CUW Curacao 0 1 0 1
14 :BOL Bolivia 0 0 3 3

8 hours ago, LDOG said:

Well, 10 golds in a day is great despite one or two screw ups. 

I'd guess we should win between 5 and 10 more in the last 3 days. There seem to be a lot that will be 50/50 chances, though I have no idea of our level in things like Bochas and Squash (it looks like there was good performance in both today).

The best country in squash is Colombia, in male squash Argentina can win golds like the Romiglio yesterday, in bochas i expect to win the 3 golds.

:GUY lost to :CHI in the quarterfinals of women’s team squash. I knew it was unlikely they’d get the quota here, but I’d like to see them qualify for Santiago 2023 at some point. Women’s squash and table tennis are arguably their strongest sports at the moment, but the team aspect of qualification in both sports might make it difficult them to qualify :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The Uruguay women's football team got the silver medal, after defeating Argentina 5-1 (!!!) and Colombia 2-0, then winning over Venezuela on penalty shootouts. Brazil didn't enter, but it's an unprecedented result anyway.

The Uruguay men's football team was fourth (Brazil also didn't enter).

The Uruguay women's hockey team got the bronze, after losing to Argentina 1-0 and drawing Chile  0-0 (they went to the final with a higher aggregate goals).

Uruguay now has 6 gold medals (all in rowing), 13 silvers and 14 bronzes, for a total 33 medals.

In other news, the South American games medallists will earn money: $UY 60,000 (US$ 1,500) for a gold, $UY 20,000 for a silver, and $UY 12,000 for a bronze. Teams will share twice the money (so $UY 13,000 each for the 8+1 rowing gold team). The current 33 medals are worth $UY 1.3 million (US$ 32,000).

2 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

In other news, the South American games medallists will earn money: $UY 60,000 (US$ 1,500) for a gold, $UY 20,000 for a silver, and $UY 12,000 for a bronze. Teams will share twice the money (so $UY 13,000 each for the 8+1 rowing gold team). The current 33 medals are worth $UY 1.3 million (US$ 32,000).

That's great. I don't think Brazilian medalists will earn any money from this.

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

For all the great organization and venues here, I must say that the Athletics "stadium" is a little disappointing.

It is practical though. :PAR will be left with a nice training complex (assuming it’s managed properly) that can also host regional/continental meets. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela