website statistics

Who tested positive and is, or might be, out of the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022?

3 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Mind you, proof that masks & sitting 2m apart don’t work.:evil:

Ah, excellent, you must have seen the research that indicated the positive cases were in fact infected in that moment, I assume? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ah, excellent, you must have seen the research that indicated the positive cases were in fact infected in that moment, I assume? :p 

We obviously won't prove that the cases were infected exactly then, but why they decided to take such a risk??? 😠 The speed skaters were all there

Italian NOC President, Giovanni Malagò tested positive to covid, too...:yikes:

he's already in Beijing and despite being at the moment "totally asymptomatic", he's in isolation and under observation in a special structure where other positive IOC members already are...

he recently had some health issues, so, let's hope he's not gonna pay a high prize to this fuckin' covid because of his previous troubles...:fingers:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/italian-noc-president-positive-covid-isolating-beijing-2022-02-01/

Just now, rafalgorka said:

We obviously won't prove that the cases were infected exactly then, but why they decided to take such a risk??? 😠

Oh, no I completely agree with you! I just reacted to the "so this is proof it doesn't work!" thing :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

There are so many covid cases among Polish athletes, specially speed skating and short track. It makes me so angry. Obviously noone knows where they have caught it. But I just don't understand why Polish NOC didn't skip the official ceremony in their headquarters in Warsaw before they all were heading to board the plane to Beijing. That was unnecessary risk, so many people gathered together in one crowded place. They should have cancelled such an event this year. Very bad decision to hold it.

'

Holding nationals few days before arrival to Beijing in the one place with short track and speed skaters was even worse idea...

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I barely heard any other story in the first days :p

It did go down quickly at some point, yes. Hopefully that'll be the case here, but the thing is this variant is way, way, way easier to spread. Which doesn't necessarily make it dangerous from a health perspective, but makes it a disaster from a sports perspective when we're still all in "positive = out" mode.

That's kinda my point though.  Started out with a lot, people thought it would be more, and then every medal event was finished to completion.

This time, the lead-up has been all these stories and the closed loops and quarantine camps and China's zero COVID policy.  So we'll still be hearing about this in a few days.  Whether or not it has a major effect on competition remains to be seen.  But like you said, for those reasons, pretty nonsensical of certain sports federations to have World Cup events so close to the start and not to give anything more of a buffer to get to Beijing, isolate if they need to, and be ready if someone tests positive.

13 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's kinda my point though.  Started out with a lot, people thought it would be more, and then every medal event was finished to completion.

This time, the lead-up has been all these stories and the closed loops and quarantine camps and China's zero COVID policy.  So we'll still be hearing about this in a few days.  

I don't know exactly how it looks elsewhere in the world right now if you compare it to how it looked back in July/August 2020 but here in Poland we have awfully lot of cases now in the cold winter season and we didn't have that much in the summer when Tokyo Olympics were happening. So that may be another clue if we talk about Polish delegation, why they have so many cases. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Canada down to 3 members of delegation in covid protocols in Beijing, down from 5 last Friday.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/three-members-canadian-team-beijing-095906652.html

How much of our team is in Beijing? Considering the size of our team, that's pretty good, hopefully the remaining three get out soon.

4 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I don't know exactly how it looks elsewhere in the world right now if you compare it to how it looked back in July/August 2020 but here in Poland we have awfully lot of cases now in the cold winter season and we didn't have that much in the summer when Tokyo Olympics were happening. So that may be another clue if you talk about Polish delegation, why we have so many cases. 

I live in New York.  The spike here is ridiculous.  At our worst, both early on in the pandemic and around this time last year, we had at most around 5,000 cases per day.  During this spike, we were hitting 40,000 per day, but it took only a couple of months to go back down to where we were in early December.  And this is with most of the city vaccinated.

We were unprepared for how transmissible Omicron has been.  If this had happened a couple of weeks earlier, maybe not such a big deal.  But we're just starting to see the downslope of the case numbers, so it'll be at least another month before they start to level out