website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Weightlifting, Diving, and Track Cycling has a similar level too. The difference is that people at the CAC Games were taking it seriously. Here at Lima it is all about Olympic qualification and “training competitions”. Plus, many Peruvians seem not to care about the event. In Samoa, the whole damn island came out for the games, and the atmosphere was awesome.

Diving? Since when? Outside a couple Colombian divers (and Mexico of course), everyone else in competition at Barranquilla were total crap.

Track cycling? Mexico is an upcoming country at best, and still, them and Trinidad & Tobago were able to completely embarrass Colombian team at their training velodrome; how come that would be taking it seriously by Colombian track federation?

Weightlifting? Maybe, but you forgot USA and Ecuador also have very competitive teams, plus some individualities from Brazil, Canada & Chile. As I've said many times before, the fact there were only 5 athletes in an event and 16 in other, is not the fault of the organizers, but on the weightlifting federation qualification criteria.

Now, talking about audience? Maybe Peruvian citizens are not well aware of the times and places, and that's entirely to blame on the organizing committee, but you can't expect the 20+ Peruvians to just abandon their jobs to go and see a competition; maybe prizes were too high for the general public, I remember searching for tickets, and thought most prizes weren't so cheap, which I imagine was another factor.

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Rhythmic is a mix of a/b (Best overall + Natalie Garcia, for development). Jason Burnett is the big name in trampoline here, but he is no longer the world threat he was before. He finished 10th and last nationals just last week (Chartier was 7th), and ofc the women are missing MacLennan here.

I thought she had retired. Nice to know she's still active (and hopefully she's looking to qualify for the Olympics). 

About rhythmics, I am worried about the group event. Cuba took fourth, which is surprising considering the Canadians have had more international exposure and probably much better coaches. I thought that after the mistake Brazil had, Canada would take bronze, but this was not the case. I hope this is just a period where girls are adjusting to harder routines. It would be fantastic to have Brazil, Mexico, Canada and the US on the same level at the World Championships plus Cuba hopefully doing well. But Mexico seems to be too dominant.

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Finally some consistent sailing action.

Any idea why it was delayed?

I don’t have the answer to that, but I have a link to the tracking 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Diving? Since when? Outside a couple Colombian divers (and Mexico of course), everyone else in competition at Barranquilla were total crap.

Track cycling? Mexico is an upcoming country at best, and still, them and Trinidad & Tobago were able to completely embarrass Colombian team at their training velodrome; how come that would be taking it seriously by Colombian track federation?

Weightlifting? Maybe, but you forgot USA and Ecuador also have very competitive teams, plus some individualities from Brazil, Canada & Chile. As I've said many times before, the fact there were only 5 athletes in an event and 16 in other, is not the fault of the organizers, but on the weightlifting federation qualification criteria.

Now, talking about audience? Maybe Peruvian citizens are not well aware of the times and places, and that's entirely to blame on the organizing committee, but you can't expect the 20+ Peruvians to just abandon their jobs to go and see a competition; maybe prizes were too high for the general public, I remember searching for tickets, and thought most prizes weren't so cheap, which I imagine was another factor.

Of I thought tickets were super cheap. There were a lot available for $5 USD. (I actually thought about going until I landed those Tokyo 2020 tickets) The Barranquilla 2018 organizers did a good job at getting an audience. I do understand that Peruvians are obviously limited by expense, but you’d imagine their should be quite a few international fans too. The CAC Games were nice because the top countries were equal in strength and the bottom countries had good chances for medals. It’s just not the same in Lima unfortunately.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I thought she had retired. Nice to know she's still active (and hopefully she's looking to qualify for the Olympics). 

About rhythmics, I am worried about the group event. Cuba took fourth, which is surprising considering the Canadians have had more international exposure and probably much better coaches. I thought that after the mistake Brazil had, Canada would take bronze, but this was not the case. I hope this is just a period where girls are adjusting to harder routines. It would be fantastic to have Brazil, Mexico, Canada and the US on the same level at the World Championships plus Cuba hopefully doing well. But Mexico seems to be too dominant.

She injured herself really badly (broken ankle) in April

Canada's group was just put together this year. Already from last year's worlds there is quite a bit of improvement. They just need time to get better, and unfortunately that is not on their side for Olympic qualification.

10 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Most of the events are now sold out or close to it in Lima. The venues are really nice, the competition is good, and Peru seems to be embracing the games. Dare I say these are a really excellent games and hopefully they finish with a bang with swimming/athletics. 

Considering where Lima was 2 years ago in preparations vs now, they have come full circle to put on a world class event. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Of I thought tickets were super cheap. There were a lot available for $5 USD. (I actually thought about going until I landed those Tokyo 2020 tickets) The Barranquilla 2018 organizers did a good job at getting an audience. I do understand that Peruvians are obviously limited by expense, but you’d imagine their should be quite a few international fans too. The CAC Games were nice because the top countries were equal in strength and the bottom countries had good chances for medals. It’s just not the same in Lima unfortunately.

Well you forget that $5 USD may not be cheap for you, but for people in other parts of the world, it may be the difference between going to a sports event or contributing for paying for medicines or public utilities.

I remember tickets in Guadalajara 2011 weren't expensive for me; but again, I earn above the average Mexican, yet compared to other parts of the world, my degree is not paid the way it should.