website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

Discussion Threads are moving from an annual cycle to a quadriennium cycle, and being merged with the Olympic Qualification Thread for the following Olympic Games.

Example: Alpine Skiing Discussion | Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026

You might see the downside of this so I anticipate the benefits of it :d

- There will be no need to open discussion threads every new year, but just every 4;

- In the past we had some discussion threads very active and some with very few replies. Having also the general Olympic qualification discussion in the thread will guarantee each thread to be active during the Olympic quadriennium;

- We will still have separate threads for single Olympic qualification events, so these threads are only for general discussion related or unrelated to Olympic qualifications;

- In the past, we had to move lots of posts between Discussion Threads and Olympic qualification threads. This now will not be necessary anymore because there is a single thread for both.

2 hours ago, Sindo said:

Discussion Threads are moving from an annual cycle to a quadriennium cycle, and being merged with the Olympic Qualification Thread for the following Olympic Games.

Example: Alpine Skiing Discussion | Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026

You might see the downside of this so I anticipate the benefits of it :d

- There will be no need to open discussion threads every new year, but just every 4;

- In the past we had some discussion threads very active and some with very few replies. Having also the general Olympic qualification discussion in the thread will guarantee each thread to be active during the Olympic quadriennium;

- We will still have separate threads for single Olympic qualification events, so these threads are only for general discussion related or unrelated to Olympic qualifications;

- In the past, we had to move lots of posts between Discussion Threads and Olympic qualification threads. This now will not be necessary anymore because there is a single thread for both.

One suggestion. Reserve the first post for qualification details. PDF/Overview/Important dates, whatever format everyone agrees on. Personally, I see this change as a positive, as it reduces the clutter and athletes/fans anyway think more on the line of 4 year Olympic cycle rather than year. 

32 minutes ago, Dolby said:

One suggestion. Reserve the first post for qualification details. PDF/Overview/Important dates, whatever format everyone agrees on. Personally, I see this change as a positive, as it reduces the clutter and athletes/fans anyway think more on the line of 4 year Olympic cycle rather than year. 

Yeah, the first post is reserved anyway, we currently have the logo for "Discussion Thread". We can change it pointing to a link to the Qualification Tracker, where all the olympic qualification information will be stored.

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

I'd say the very best, as soon as it's there, is to have the official qualifying document (generally in PDF format) in the first post, so you don't need to go to another place just for that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• It's been 40-50 years, but the Boogeyman is still kicking high for Westerners. 
    • Of those: I have no justification for Lacrosse or Flag Football. If Cricket isn't popular enough to justify being in the Olympic then we have to cut most sports from the Olympics. The main justifications I can see for Baseball not being deserving of an Olympic spot is that the women's game is extremely underdeveloped (to the point that Softball is substituted as a women's version) and that the top pros have never taken part in the Olympics. But Baseball is one of the most developed and competitive team sport in the world on the men's side. It definitively dwarfs exisitng Olympic team sports like Water Polo, Handball and Field Hockey. The main reason I think breaking being in the Olympics would make sense as a permanent inclusion is that it's dirt cheap to host - very few athletes, relatively few officials, very easy to produce for TV and re-using an exisitng venue. It really doesn't need to have very much appeal to be worth it.
    • I actually think is going to be favourites to win both the men's and women's events   The format at the Olympics is sixes, which isn't the same as the traditional outdoor lacrosse format. It has a lot of elements that make it more similar to box lacrosse (an indoor version of lacrosse played on a pitch the size of an ice hockey rink), and that's a version of the game Canada absolutely dominated.   ...but ya, and are almost locks for the gold medal game in both the men's and women's event. If the Haudenosaunee are allowed to compete then there is a real chance there could be a North American sweep in the men's event.
    • Where I personally draw the line would be including sports that *can* be played on ice or snow, as long as they actually are played on ice or snow at the Winter Olympics.   So I would be in favour of cross country running or cyclocross as long as a large part of the playing field for both is covered in snow and part of the challenge includes navigating winter conditions. Also why I'm in favour of snow volleyball being considered.   (I'm also a big fan of including ice climbing in the winter Olympics, but I think that's a less controversial idea with regard to it being a "real" winter sport)
    • Love to see him lose his Australian passport. I hate this stuff. He should surrender his Australian citizenship if he was an honest man. Looks like he had been planning this for a while but as too gutless to say so before the Olympics as he may have been deselected Part honey trap. part money. GB track cycling has a big budget, Australia not so much 
    • I believe so, yes. My reaction is because the steeplechase is my favourite event in the summer Olympics (and IMO more fun to watch than XC) :P
    • That's kind of how I feel about Lacrosse's inclusion in 2028. Obviously I'm happy it will very, very likely give two medals (and decent chance to win gold in both events), and I also happen to really enjoy watching Lacrosse so I'm happy to have it in the Olympics either way.   But can I justify Lacrosse being an Olympic sport, compared to so many other sports? Nope.   (And to be clear, I believe Water Polo definitively deserves to be in the Olympics more than Lacrosse does)
    • You can really expand the number of cricket nations by including all the territories which can contribute to the West Indies team _which is about a dozen but there are four main ones (actually Barbados has historically been the number one contributor) The total population of these West Indies states is about 6 million.   As for lacrosse I'm betting now that the gold medal game will be USA beating Canada, but I bet I won't find any takers it's such a sure thing. GB and Australia play lacrosse in a very small way so there's your bronze medal game. As for the rest of the world well I think they may have a national lacrosse team but don't really have much in the way of local leagues. But then that could also be said of China and (field) hockey so who knows what could happen. Look at USA and Canada in rugby7s where both are rugby minnows - once a sport is in the Olympics things can change.   Flag football will hopefully also be a oncer with USA the certain winners.   Maybe not so much here but I'd say plenty of people are becoming very cynical about the Olympics  
    • Probably, but no sharks in Italy 🤷🏻‍♂️  
    • Some athletic stadiums could squeeze in a cricket field, but it depends on how much extra space was left outside the long ends of the track.