website statistics

Snowboard at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

did it ever happened ? I mean it sounds a very unlikely scenario . only if 2 snowboarders are very very injured that they can't even stand on the board. because just finishing the race is enough. Short Track is a different thing. lots of guys get disqualified

I remember we had the small final in 2018 even when we had 6 snowboarders in the final

I remember it happening once but don't remember where/when. The chances are really low of it happening, but they have the race to prevent the scenario (how unlikely it may be) from happening

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

Its also if two people crash out and do not finish in the A final... sort of like short track speed skating.

in snowboardcross, if they crash out, they are still ranked within the heat (using the seeding runs time, if needed), it's only if they get DSQ that the small final skaters have a chance to medal...

5 hours ago, Griff88 said:

What is the purpose of small final other than for placement?

actually, it's only on placement's purpose...because normally world cup points are up fro grabs and any place in the final ranking is important...

of course the Olympics are a different thing, but they still prefer having athletes ranked after a true run instead of using the seeding runs time...

13 hours ago, Griff88 said:

What is the purpose of small final other than for placement?

Like everyone else said, mostly placement. It also lets the audience see another race, and gives OBS a chance to play with their toys :p

The camera angle on Eguibar :ESP when he got caught in that crash was great though. A good way to show how intense the sport is.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela