website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

14 minutes ago, dodge said:

This is my point about gatekeeping. The vast, vast, vast majority of the world doesn’t have ice or snow for winter. So while you think it’s a “fundamental principle”, it was only applicable to the 16 countries at the first games and their neighbours. 

So instead of opening up new sports to get them included in the games, you and others want to keep them out. 

That’s fine. That’s your choice. I’d prefer if others were included. And again, I don’t feel strongly on it (as in I’m not going to fall out with anybody over it) but I’d include cross country running and cyclo cross. 

The “fundamental principle” is not only a principle on paper it's what make the winter games fundamentally distinctive and what it makes that the event works.

If you cut it, you'll end up with a selection of random sports that are simply not good enough for the summer olympics. In other words, it's called the World Games. Everyone is included, but no one care.

41 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

The “fundamental principle” is not only a principle on paper it's what make the winter games fundamentally distinctive and what it makes that the event works.

If you cut it, you'll end up with a selection of random sports that are simply not good enough for the summer olympics. In other words, it's called the World Games. Everyone is included, but no one care.

Most people don’t care anyway. The Winter Olympics isn’t even shown in 3/4 of the world