website statistics

Women's Volleyball Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today is the women african nation championship final between :EGY & :KEN 

:EGY in the final for the first time since 2003 and :KEN beat host nation :CMR (the champion in last 3 editions)

however there is no direct qualification as african champion but it will add boosting points to nation ranking 

till now :KEN 22 while :EGY 34

I think Kenya is qualified for the Olympics. they won the African champs today and they are #1 in Africa in the World Ranking and there is no other tournament for African teams. none of them will participate in the Olympic Qualifiers or next year VNL. so I think :KEN Kenya is 100% qualified.

25 minutes ago, NearPup said:

:KEN deserves this spot, but gosh is this a terrible Olympic qualification system.

Yes it is. Nevertheless, Kenia is the best women's team in Africa.

About the ridiculous qualification format:

It is unfair that the results of the European Championships are counting for the ranking, and most other continental tournaments aren't. For teams like Germany, Belgium and Netherlands every match counts towards the top 10 in the rankings. While in other tournaments like the Pan American Cup, Asian Championships and so on the better teams can play with their B-team. Like Canada, Dominican Republic, USA, Brazil ... I expect those teams fresh at the start of the OG-qualifier. Some European countries will arrive tired and injured. For example: Germany's star Hannah Ohrtmann, Belgium's star Britt Herbots and Dutch revelation Nova Marring are already injured now. Hopefully this three top players can compete in the OG-qualifier.

Not to mention the VNL of next year, which results are counting for Olympic qualification too. A lot of the topteams will play with their B-choice, like Serbia, Italy, China normally do. Not all the teams will play against each other. So you're lucky when you play against teams that play with their B-choice.

It really makes me angry already. 

28 minutes ago, CCB said:

Yes it is. Nevertheless, Kenia is the best women's team in Africa.

About the ridiculous qualification format:

It is unfair that the results of the European Championships are counting for the ranking, and most other continental tournaments aren't. For teams like Germany, Belgium and Netherlands every match counts towards the top 10 in the rankings. While in other tournaments like the Pan American Cup, Asian Championships and so on the better teams can play with their B-team. Like Canada, Dominican Republic, USA, Brazil ... I expect those teams fresh at the start of the OG-qualifier. Some European countries will arrive tired and injured. For example: Germany's star Hannah Ohrtmann, Belgium's star Britt Herbots and Dutch revelation Nova Marring are already injured now. Hopefully this three top players can compete in the OG-qualifier.

Not to mention the VNL of next year, which results are counting for Olympic qualification too. A lot of the topteams will play with their B-choice, like Serbia, Italy, China normally do. Not all the teams will play against each other. So you're lucky when you play against teams that play with their B-choice.

It really makes me angry already. 

Wrong

teams should play with their A teams for Continental Championships, while they are allowed to use B teams for other minor events like Pan-American Cup. of course they can send whoever they want but their results at continental Champs will be counted no matter what. Brazil used its A team for the South American Champs and I assume Canada and co will do the same for the NORCECA Champ.

minor teams in other continents (especially Asia and Africa) got hurt badly by this system. all of them lost 50 points because there was no tournament to play for them in 2022. it doesn't change anything for the Olympic qualification but World Champs qualification is also based on the World Ranking and all 2nd tier Asian/African teams are already far away from the 32nd spot to qualify.

Edited by MHSN

Kenya beat Egypt today 3-0 and they clearly deserved the spot but look at their ranking points. Kenya has 162 and Egypt has 104 . it's a big gap but it should be much much closer.

keep in mind Egypt lost 50pts last year in a very unfair way simply because they didn't play a single official match last year which wasn't their fault at all. (Kenya played at the World Championship) 

the same happened to all AVC teams (except VNL teams) AVC created the AVC Challenge Cup to avoid that but still 50pts from last year is not coming back. 

Edited by MHSN

12 hours ago, MHSN said:

Wrong

teams should play with their A teams for Continental Championships, while they are allowed to use B teams for other minor events like Pan-American Cup. of course they can send whoever they want but their results at continental Champs will be counted no matter what. Brazil used its A team for the South American Champs and I assume Canada and co will do the same for the NORCECA Champ.

minor teams in other continents (especially Asia and Africa) got hurt badly by this system. all of them lost 50 points because there was no tournament to play for them in 2022. it doesn't change anything for the Olympic qualification but World Champs qualification is also based on the World Ranking and all 2nd tier Asian/African teams are already far away from the 32nd spot to qualify.

My mistake, I completely missed that the NORCECA championships will be held next week.