website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

more "FINA OQTs" in Riccione earlier Today:

• men's 800m, Luca De Tullio 7.49.01
  • women's 200m IM, Sara Franceschi 2.11.29 (in any case, she was already officially qualified to the Olympics also for our NF because of the 400m IM results both in Fukuoka and Doha)

moreover, Ginevra Taddeucci just missed out on the OQT by 2.8 secs in the women's 1500m

if she could swim that time, she would have earned a spot for the open water swimming race in Paris

meanwhile Giulia Gabrielleschi was a lot slower

they will try again at the Settecolli meet in June

more "FINA OQTs" at the Italian Spring Nationals

earlier Today

men's 200m Backstroke, Matteo Restivo 1.56.83 (I think he already swam faster earlier in the OQP, though) and Thomas Ceccon 1.57.15 (winning the "B" Final, and he also have faster clockings in the OQP, but he's highly unlikely, almost impossible he's gonna swim the distance in Paris)

in the men's 200m Free now we have 2 guys with the OQT (Filippo Megli and Alessandro Ragaini, both at 1.45.X high)

I think both of them will compete in the Individual Race at the Olympics, even if Megli missed out the NF QT by 2/100 of a second

Sara Curtis won the women's 50m Free with 24.63, which is once again below the OQT (also for our NF), but didn't improve the morning time (I'm a bit disappointed, I expected her to swim at least 24.4 this afternoon)

Today, in an interview in Raisport after the competition Ceccon said that he was aiming for double gold in Paris: 100 and 200 backstroke. In my opinion, it was the right decision, because there is no dominant player in the 200 backstroke. Secondly, if Marchand can aim for 3 individual golds, Ceccon can aim for 2. The biggest problem for the Italian team will be with the medley relay. I see 3 options:

- waiting for Sette Colli with the hope that e.g. Burdisso or Codia in the 100 dolphin will be below 52 seconds,

- betting on Razzetti (today he achieved 52 seconds, but at the top of his form he can get 0.5 seconds off it),

- Lamberti in the backstroke and Ceccon in the butterfly (an option considered by the commentators during the Raisport broadcast.

Edited by copravolley

My second observation is that the Italian coaching staff should call up to the Olympics all players who obtained at least according to the FINA criteria QOT: Fangio, Restivo, Poggio, de Tullio, etc. The FINA criteria for Paris are very strict compared to, for example, Tokyo. I don't know what the federation's goal is in making them even more stringent? It is known that none of these competitors will win an individual medal and can only count on a semi-final, but it was similar in Tokyo: then the entire Italian team consisted of 38 people.

Edited by copravolley

On 3/7/2024 at 7:54 PM, Robertino said:

Leonardo Deplano - 48"09 (men's relay 4x100 m freestyle)

Now this is Olympic pass in the individual!!!

Leonardo Deplano :ITA 48"09 (men's 4x100 m freestyle) 

:ITA 2024 Campionato Italiano Assoluto  - Riccione (ITA) :ITA

March 5th - March 9th 2024

Meet Results

The following new OQTs were achieved

Men's 100m Freestyle

:ITA Leonardo Deplano

Men's 200m Freestyle

:ITA Filippo Megli*

:ITA Alessandro Ragaini

Women's 50m Freestyle

:ITA Sara Curtis

Women's 200m Backstroke

:ITA Erika Gaetani*

Women's 200m Breaststroke

:ITA Francesca Fangio*

Women's 100m Butterfly

:ITA Costanza Cocconcelli*

*Not yet selected for Olympic team as of today

Edited by Topicmaster1010

23 hours ago, copravolley said:

Today, in an interview in Raisport after the competition Ceccon said that he was aiming for double gold in Paris: 100 and 200 backstroke. In my opinion, it was the right decision, because there is no dominant player in the 200 backstroke. Secondly, if Marchand can aim for 3 individual golds, Ceccon can aim for 2. The biggest problem for the Italian team will be with the medley relay. I see 3 options:

- waiting for Sette Colli with the hope that e.g. Burdisso or Codia in the 100 dolphin will be below 52 seconds,

- betting on Razzetti (today he achieved 52 seconds, but at the top of his form he can get 0.5 seconds off it),

- Lamberti in the backstroke and Ceccon in the butterfly (an option considered by the commentators during the Raisport broadcast.

Nice to see that he has dreams, but he has never shown anything to indicate that he can come remotely close to Kos in the 200 back. He should save his energy for other events. Also I don’t see how Marchand and Ceccon are connected, Marchand obviously is lightyears ahead of Ceccon. Ceccon will have enough trouble to beat the Americans in the 100 back, Marchand is infinitely more dominant in the 400 IM. In addition to that I think that Marchand will try to go for 4 golds, otherwise they probably wouldn’t have changed the schedule so that he can swim the 200 fly and the 200 breast. 

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Italian Olympic Team after the Italian Spring Nationals

Thomas Ceccon - Men’s 100m Backstroke

Sara Franceschi - Women’s 400m Individual Medley

Nicolo Martinenghi - Men’s 100m Breaststroke

Alessandro Miressi - Men’s 100m Freestyle

Gregorio Paltrinieri - Men’s 1500m Freestyle

Benedetta Pilato - Women’s 100m Breaststroke

Simona Quadarella - Women’s 800m Freestyle, Women’s 1500m Freestyle

Alberto Razzetti - Men’s 200m Butterfly, Men’s 200m Individual Medley, Men’s 400m Individual Medley

Lorenzo Zazzeri - Men’s 50m Freestyle
Leonardo Deplanto - Men’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 100m Freestyle, Men’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay

Filippo Megli - Men’s 200m Freestyle, Men’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Lisa Angiolini - Women’s 100m Breaststroke
Sara Curtis - Women’s 50m Freestyle

Alessandro Ragaini- Men’s 200m Freestyle

Edited by Josh