website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 hours ago, dodge said:

:KAZ with a storming October to leap into 19th place overall

Lutsenko deserves a statue outside the cycling federation. He was on fire :cycling:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Interestingly, someone seems to have updated the Wikipedia page for road cycling qualification even though UCI haven't officially released the final rankings. Unfortunately, they seem to have used the Pro Cycling Stats data which is incorrect for the women's rankings. France will not finish ahead of Switzerland. 

5 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Interestingly, someone seems to have updated the Wikipedia page for road cycling qualification even though UCI haven't officially released the final rankings. Unfortunately, they seem to have used the Pro Cycling Stats data which is incorrect for the women's rankings. France will not finish ahead of Switzerland. 

I perhaps should explain a little more as I know there are a lot of users who are big fans of the Pro Cycling Stats data. The reason I say it is wrong on the women's side is because the PCS bases its ranking on the performance of the top 8 riders per nationality:

image.png

Whilst this is correct for the men's rankings, for the women's rankings, the UCI only counts the points of the top 5 riders per country:

image.png

So basically, PCS is consistently reporting higher ranking totals for each nation than we will see when using the official UCI rankings. Often that doesn't make a huge amount of difference, but in this instance it is giving misleading impression of where France will finish. 

On Wikipedia someone posted the reallocated places in the Pan-American championship for :CRC and :GUA, but :URU and :BRA were the two better countries that didn't get a place via ranking and came ahead of those two in this championship!

It's a mistake on the part of whoever edited it, right?

So I'm pretty sure Wikipedia is completely incorrect. Here's my interpretation of the quotas.

Please let me know if there's any mistakes

Men:

World Rankings (4 quotas each): :BEL:DEN:SLO:GBR:FRA

World Rankings (3 quotas each): :ESP:NED:ITA:AUS:USA

World Rankings (2 quotas each): :SUI:POR:COL:NOR:GER:AUT:IRL:CAN:KAZ:NZL

World Rankings (1 quota each): :ERI:RUS:ECU:POL:LAT:MAR:CZE:HUN:MGL:JPN:ALG:SVK:UZB:LUX:GRE:RSA:VEN:ISR:EST:TUR:PAN:THA:ARG:UKR:CHN

2023 World Championships (1 quota each): :SWE

2023 African Championships (1 quota each): :MRI:UGA

2023 Asian Championships (1 quota each): :KOR:IRI

2023 Pan American Championships (1 quota each): :URU:BRA

Reallocated Host/World Championship Quotas: :RWA:CRC:HKG

Women: 

World Rankings (4 quotas each): :NED:ITA:BEL:SUI:POL

World Rankings (3 quotas each): :GBR:AUS:FRA:GER:CAN

World Rankings (2 quotas each): :DEN:USA:AUT:NZL:ESP:RSA:UZB:NOR:SLO:CHN

World Rankings (1 quota each): :RUS:FIN:UKR:THA:LUX:SWE:COL:CZE:HKG:CUB:KOR:RWA:IRL:BLR:SRB:SVK:MRI:BRA:CHI:ALG:NAM:CYP:JPN:ISR:POR

2023 World Championships (1 quota each): :HUN:LAT

2023 African Championships (1 quota each): :NGR:BUR

2023 Asian Championships (1 quota each): :VIE:MAS

2023 Pan American Championships (1 quota each): :MEX:CRC

Reallocated Host Quotas: :UAE:LTU

Edited by Topicmaster1010