website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

GBR are still haunted, I think, by the twin spectres of Atlanta 1996 and Eddie the Eagle Edwards. Most cuontries didn't care how GBR did in Atlanta, but in GB it was a national humiliation at the tail end of a government that was itself a kind of by word for a national malaise, while Eddie, while popular, was also deeply cringe for a country that wanted to be taken seriously, but increasingly just wasn't.

In the last few years, GB was supposed to have relaxed a bit from the frightening level of ruthlessness that the new era created - the success of GB in new sports has come at some cost in terms of ethics and athlete welfare with a series of scandals in cycling, swimming, gymnastics, bobsled etc That monomaniacal push for medals seems to have reduced a bit, and I personally expect the medal count to reduce significantly as a result, but one place it seems to continue to hold is selection policy (tight purses is also a factor ) with a series of perfectly respectable international class athletes set to miss out, including a couple of youngsters who might be world class soon (the two hammer lads spring to mind here)

IMHO it is ridiculous. And it particularly annoys me when Australia and South Africa do it too.

The flip of that is there are loads here who complain about “free” quotas for Australia 

Sorry if this was answered already (it's hard to go through 100+ pages), but when will WA start showing rejected quotas on the Road to Paris? I remember for the Road to Tokyo they were updating it every day after the qualification period so we gradually saw athletes move into qualifying positions.

8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Sorry if this was answered already (it's hard to go through 100+ pages), but when will WA start showing rejected quotas on the Road to Paris? I remember for the Road to Tokyo they were updating it every day after the qualification period so we gradually saw athletes move into qualifying positions.

Probably 7 July will be final list. I read that.

17 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I was asking myself the same question. I think the final reallocation should be on July 9th if I am not mistaken. Also keep checking the list Road to Paris but so far no change. Maybe they won't really do one by one but as a big update at once. I guess the earliest may come something tomorrow. 

Czech team has already confirmed all the athletes today so maybe they also waited for the official confirmation from WA. So I suppose that WA is collecting all the lists and later will update who moved up. 

I am currently waiting for the possible changes in 4 disciplines so keep updating several times a day. I guess if there is no update in about an hour, then earliest we may expect tomorrow late afternoon. 

7 hours ago, dodge said:

The flip of that is there are loads here who complain about “free” quotas for Australia 

I have some sympathy for that, but that's a slightly different issue, the obvious cure for which is to make qualification four broad zones, all of around 50 nations -

Pan-American,

European,

African (or African/Middle Eastern if Africa is too weak on its own),

Asia-Pacific

If athletics wanted to bring in an unambiguously continental element, I'm here for that too

10 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

And I suspect it will get even stricter. I can see Athletics having the same time rule as swimming soon - the time needed to make the top 8. 

Don't give the IOC any idea, soon they will only allow eight athletes per event