website statistics
On 1/13/2024 at 12:41 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

The men's sprint squad are fast becoming the weak link in an otherwise pretty impressive :GBRCycling team.

I think there is a strong chance that the women's sprint squad will bring back 2 medals from Paris - likely silver in team sprint but with a decent chance of gold in individual sprint. I don't think Finucane will medal in the Keirin but the event is always a bit of a lottery and can easily throw up a surprise medalist.

The women's endurance squad are probably marginal favourites for gold in the team pursuit. I am guessing Archibald will be selected for the Omnium and if she is, she should be in the mix for a medal but probably wouldn't go in as favourite. The squad will have plenty of options when it comes to the madison - I think Neah Evans is likely to be picked and probably with Elinor Barker in a repeat of the pairing from Glasgow. They would go into the competition as serious medal contenders but again the event often owes more to tactics and luck than form.

On the men's side, the team pursuiters are back on track to qualify for Paris after crashing out in Glasgow and all things being equal, they should come back with a medal. I certainly don't think we will see a repeat of Tokyo where they were caught and crashed. The biggest issue for them is likely to be the fact that they will probably be quite early in the starting order so wont be able to react to the performances of :ITA and :DEN. For both the omnium and the madison, :GBRwill have strong team to select from and will be medal contenders in both events but not necessarily favourites.

Then we come to the men's sprint team, and at the moment, you would have to say it does not look likely that :GBRwill win any medal across the men's team sprint, individual sprint or keirin - that is something that has not happened since Athens in 2004. In the team sprint, realistically the best they could hope for is a bronze but to do that they will likely need to overcome France. They have one of the best lead out riders in Ali Fielding and Hamish Turnbull is able to hold his own as second man. The question will then be whether they stick with Jack Carlin as the 3rd man or opt for Jo Truman.  Neither Carlin or Truman were anywhere close to medaling in the individual sprint at this week's Euros and we've seen nothing to suggest they will perform any better in the keirin.

At this stage, the only unknown is going to be the impact that the new tech will have. I don't think the new bikes are being used in Apeldoorn this week so the only outing it had was in qualifying for team pursuit in Glasgow and it ended up in a heap on the floor after the crash.  

The Olympic sprint programme has changed since 2004 and the men's squad did medal in the kilo that year as they had four years earlier. It would be fairer to say that it would be the first blank since 1996 if they don't pul something out of the hat in Paris.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Not to forget the increase of women's team sprint size from two to three riders following the Tokyo Olympics. Such rule change was always going to hurt smaller teams like Lithuania more than anyone else.

I guess that's an argument in favour of mixed events in some sports, although it's not realistic in cycling.

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2022
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Definitely not planning any medals. Lithuania has strong traditions in track cycling, especially in the women's field.

With all of the legends retiring, I'm just glad that we can still be seen and be somewhat competitive from time to time.

After Krupeckaitė's retirement, the women's team sprint team fell apart, so it's good to see that our coach (Simona's husband) decided to form a men's team as we didn't have enough competitive women to field a team on the women's side. 

Krupeckaitė was a terrific cyclist. Saw a lot of her over her very long career.

Edited by Nickyc707

1 minute ago, Werloc said:

Chmm, 13th place for our very rookie Lithuanian men's sprint team is fairly okay. 

The very first time for Lithuanian men in a team event on a World Championship stage, previously only started in the European Championships once.

Lots and lots of work left to be done if they want to contend for the Olympics, but I wouldn't completely write them off just yet. 

Good to see more competition but it's a tough event to medal in.

Don't think I've ever seen so many 'false' starts in the team sprint. One of the female officials seemed to have difficulty holding the bikes steady on a number of occasions, while a male official was still holding onto the saddle of a Chinese cyclist long after the rest of his team had started. Just as well this is a test event for 2024. Lots of lessons to be learned already after day one.

16 minutes ago, George_D said:

:wGBR: GREAT BRITAIN :wGBR:

Men’s Endurance

Dan Bigham
Rhys Britton
Ethan Hayter
Will Perrett
Ethan Vernon
Ollie Wood

Men’s Sprint

Jack Carlin
Ali Fielding
Hamish Turnbull

Women’s Endurance

Katie Archibald
Megan Barker
Neah Evans
Laura Kenny
Josie Knight
Sophie Lewis
Anna Morris
Jess Roberts

Women’s Sprint

Lauren Bell
Sophie Capewell
Emma Finucane

See the first post.

11 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

It was changed in 2016 and became a farce. It became an endurance race, they cleared all sprint events and became a more casual. Television needs, I guess

I think the main argument was that there were four sprint events for each gender and only two endurance events with no points or scratch race. The new style omnium creates a 3-3 split.

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

UK sport have been looking for a opportunity to de fund British Cycling - the public here in the UK are seeing the Track Cycling as sudden flop so that will be the excuse needed to cut funding heavily. 

You have a tendency to equate your views with those of the wider public. Your prophet of doom predictions haven't stood up to much scrutiny so far but we'll see.

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

ESP commentators are still convinced that Kenny is somehow the overwhelming favorite. :rolleyes:

"You are not multiple Olympic champion for nothing."

"Flying lap is not the same as racing."

Even Kenny isn't expecting to win and has said his teammate has a better chance than he does.

9 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

It was already over even before this round ... Ermenault in Wiggins mode 

British talking about sportsmanship :p

Well it wouldn't be very hard for anyone to appear sportsmanlike compared with your good self judging by your nasty little comments. Still if it makes you feel good about yourself

29 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah thats probably what british people want to believe, your media has been really hard on Radcliffe, Farah, Froome, Ohurougo, Armitstead, Williams and so on ...

Its crazy that you really believe all this, considering all we have learned about Dr. Bonar recently. For me there isnt any reason to think that british athletes are cleaner than russian athletes. For me every country that is so desperate about success in sport is very suspicous. So could you tell me why your team was so far off at the last 4 world championships and now wins the gold? Winning a medal at world championships is better than not winning anything right? I guess your team was already focusing on the olympics for the past 2 or 3 years ... thats also the reason why you have been winning many medals in other disciplines (womans omnium/team pursuit) and other sports (athletics, swimming, boxing) ...

There is absolutely no reason why your team wouldnt have wanted to win a medal at the past 4 world championships, but they just werent good enough to do it.

Sorry, but for me there isnt really any point in discussing with you, for me its just too obvious, actually i am even less suspicious about Efimova. 

Perhaps if you weren't so obviously ignorant you would have been aware that Armistead and Ohurougo were taken to task in both the written and broadcast media for their missed tests. Not sure why you think athletes like Farah or Froome should be attacked though.

Of course, you don't want to discuss it! As the Donald Trump of this site you prefer to make outrageous and unsubstantiated attacks and then start to flail about when anyone stands up to you and exposes the patent nonsense which you propound.

22 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Haha ... thats exactly what i said when i saw their qualifying time. Its just too obvious and pretty funny how desperate they are to defend their results from 2012. They are a western country, so i guess everyone will be happy ...

So if you were being slandered or libelled you wouldn'the defend yourself? If as you imply it is somehow down to doping how do you think they get away with it given the regularity with which they are tested - and the big stars get tested even more regularly. Even if you somehow believe that the UK anti-Doping authority are in league with British Cycling, if there was anything untoward the British press would be all over it. Their priority has always been selling papers and they don't care who they upset in pursuit of a story.

Because of the way UK Sport funds the Olympic sports  in GB the OG's are the only thing that counts in maintaining that support. WC performances and medals only matter in so far as they contribute to winning Olympic medals. You may not like that focus but that is how the system works and it delivers success at the OG's albeit it sometimes comes at the expense of performances in other competitions.

Of course, it may just be down to the "magical wheels" alluded to by the French in 2012. At least they did until it was pointed out they were produced by the same French manufacturer that they themselves use.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Benolympique said:

you do not know the equestrian g and qualified in powerlifting? Parzlympics games

For powerlifting try http://www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/document/160228103504764_FINAL+MENS+PR_IPC+PO_0.pdf

and http://www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/document/160228103649807_FINAL+WOMENS+PR_IPC+PO_1.pdf 

The qualifiers in each weight category are not yet finalised but this will give you a pretty good idea of how things stand.

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

You are correct the UCI has not added the sprint of keirin points for either men or women.

As for Great Britain. Despite qualifying 16 athletes they will only send 15. Likely one of their women will compete in both the sprint and keirin.

You're right in that Becky James will likely compete in both events. I'm not sure that there will be too many cyclists competing on both the track and in another discipline, although there will be a few, so it is possible that one or two countries might exceed the total of 15 athletes.