Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

bestmen

Athletics 2018 Discussion Thread

Olympian1010    312
On 4/28/2018 at 16:37, thepharoah said:

it took them in Australia 40 years to apologize for this guy on banning him of participating at 1972 Olympics and 46 years to recognize his heroic action during 1968 olympics , both of them were after he died , btw he still holds the Australian record in men's 200m till now with 20.06 sec. , btw the AOC president is still sure that his NOC didn't do something wrong for him despite finishing his career and excluding him from anything related to sport in the country even in Sydney 2000 Olympics , what a shame ! 

It’s odd too since the theme of their latest multi-sports events have reconciliation with their native population.

• Like 1

mrv86    403

And Alegna Gonzalez takes Women's 10km :champion:

Second gold medal for Mexico at this Championships :clap:

bestmen    958

tomorrow the diamond league of Shanghai , i guess will start early in morning 

heywoodu    3,420
6 minutes ago, bestmen said:

That depends on where you live :p

It'll be early afternoon for me. 

phelps    582
1 ora fa, bestmen ha scritto:

1 p.m. CET

https://www.iaaf.org/home#

heywoodu    3,420

Gatlin 7th. 

Spoiler

heywoodu    3,420

52.75 for 18-year old Sydney McLaughlin in the 400m hurdles, breaking her own junior world record (53.60 last month) by almost a second. This is pure madness, less than half a second above the world record at 18 years of age. 

Dragon    268
On 5/5/2018 at 22:19, Olympian1010 said:

It’s odd too since the theme of their latest multi-sports events have reconciliation with their native population.

One problem here. It's absolutely not true to say Australia banned him from the 1972 Olympics.

He retired in 1970 after competing at the Commonwealth Games, made a comeback in late 1971 but then got a knee injury that affected his running.

He only finished 3rd at the Australian Olympic trials in 1972 and the guys that beat him were not selected for Munich either.

But it's fair to say Australian Athletics ignored him after he retired...

phelps    582
Posted (edited)

some interesting results earlier today in Italy...

this afternoon, in Savona Filippo Tortu (19 years young) ran the 100m dash in 10.03 and Marcell Jacobs followed him in 10.07 (wind +0.7)...

in the semifinals, Jacobs ran 10.04 (but with wind beyond limits @ +3.0), meanwhile Tortu had a "regular" 10.09 (wind +1.2)...

those times are not extremely impressive at global level, but for sure they are very good at "our" continental level (and this year the main event are "only" the European Champs)...

Edited by phelps

NaBUru38    27

I really like the tirnoduction of the 4x 400 metres mixed relay race. I'd like to see mixed releys too at 4x 1600 steeplechase and 4x 5 km.

heywoodu    3,420
3 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

I really like the tirnoduction of the 4x 400 metres mixed relay race. I'd like to see mixed releys too at 4x 1600 steeplechase and 4x 5 km.

And a mixed decathlon? My sarcasm meter is having troubles :d 

Spoiler

550.jpg

• Haha 1

NaBUru38    27

A relay race is a proper competition, unlike decathlon / heptathlon, where you need a results table and a calculator to know who won.