website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

That is the one point where pan american games are still much more serious than this: all the olympic events are respected and regional sports are just a handful and consistently featured (host nation can't insert or remove stuff at will).

Edited by LDOG

Just now, LDOG said:

That this the one point where pan american games are still much more serious than this, all the olympic events are respected and regional sports are just a handful and consistently featured (host nation can't insert or remove stuff at will).

The host nation has an option to propose an event/sport

1999 - Roller hockey

2007 - Futsal

2011 - Basque Pelota

2015 - Women's baseball

2019 - Surfing (which would have been added anyways), Basque pelota (which has two events called "Peru fronton")

Last year the voted to allow non-Olympic events in Olympic sports, which is why the number of events has now ballooned to over 400 :facepalm:

hace 2 minutos, intoronto said:

1999 - Roller hockey

2007 - Futsal

2011 - Basque Pelota

2015 - Women's baseball

2019 - Surfing (which would have been added anyways), Basque pelota (which has two events called "Peru fronton")

Last year the voted to allow non-Olympic events in Olympic sports, which is why the number of events has now ballooned to over 400 :facepalm:

Except futsal all those sports have been in many editions. It's 100 times more serious than this "get in 10 new sports which nobody but 2 countries play" you see at asian games.

There will not be that much inflation of events, it's mostly in karate, taekwondo and surf which are under represented (number of events wise) at the olympics anyway.

12 minutes ago, intoronto said:

1999 - Roller hockey

2007 - Futsal

2011 - Basque Pelota

2015 - Women's baseball

seems fair ....people get to see a localised sport .... the host team gets extra few medals but the core events must be untouched to maintain continuity for a nation 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

20 minutes ago, LDOG said:

That is the one point where pan american games are still much more serious than this: all the olympic events are respected and regional sports are just a handful and consistently featured (host nation can't insert or remove stuff at will).

lol actually this is the first time that host nation is sabotaging the events at this scale. which is unbelievable and terrible but I think it has something to do with the fact hat Indonesia wasn't the original host. that was Vietnam but when they withdrew they couldn't find another host in such a short time and when Indonesia accepted this they probably had some conditions.

OCA had a strict program until 2010 (host nation could not add even one sport to the Games) , in Guangzhou China added Dragon Boat, Dancesport and Roller sports. (I don't know if we can consider Go and Xiangqi as new since they were part of the Chess program) but that was 24 events in total. but after that OCA made a rule that number of events can't be changed by the host nation and we had nothing new for the 2014 Incheon program , but then they had to make some change for the reason I explained. by saying that OCA is no way a great organization. at best they should let Indonesia add one sport. no more.

and it seems we will be back to the normal situation for 2022. Olympics sports + 6 non-Olympic sports (not picked up by the host) I'm OK if OCA itself decides to add anything but "not because of host nation's request"

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

Also the absolutely ridiculous thing they have done in not having  compound mens and womens individual , dropping team events in shooting ...... I am convinced that they have decided they must come at least 4th or 5th  and the only way is to reduce medals for people like India and Iran who woudl otherwise compete for these positions 

and you know they dropped the whole compound program but after some protests they let the team event back to the Games. which I still can't udnerstand ! how come we have the team event ! and not the individual event . usually it should be the opposite of that ! :facepalm:

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

and you know they dropped the whole compound program but after some protests they let the team event back to the Games. which I still can't udnerstand ! how come we have the team event ! and not the individual event . usually it should be the opposite of that ! :facepalm:

I also see the same trend in trying to drop all the high weight events in Boxing , karate and weight lifting which  would have hit Iran the worst .... but the succeeded in boxing which is shameful ...... a core event in a core sport  ;-( .......... these guys are idiots and this will never help them become a good sporting nation ....... I estimate we lost at least 5 golds due to the changes , primarily in team sports in shooting as well as compound archery 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Speaking of the program. this is the way I like it

all Olympic events. plus full program in Taekwondo, Wrestling and Weightlifting, even though with Wrestling and Weightlifting having so many non-Olympic weights it will be hard to have all of them. 10 weights in wrestling is probably too much. but Taekwondo should have all 8 weights and NO poomsae. I also prefer a bigger program in shooting. and compound events in Archery.

I also like the full program in Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton and Squash. having "team event" in those sports is something traditional for the AG. they also can expend Track Cycling or Canoeing program.

Sepaktakraw (only regu event, not some crazy new events like Quad or doubles)

Kabaddi

Wushu

Bowling (only 4 events, no more)

Baseball/Softball (I don't like it myself but it has enough popularity in some Asian countries)

I like Sport Climbing as a core sport. with full program, not that weird combined event.

I like cue sports back in the Games, with 4 or 6 events only. not a big program.

about Cricket. only if top nations like India, Pakistan etc bring their best players, otherwise NO

no Soft tennis. that's a stupid idea

no Kurash, no Jujitsu, no Sambo, no paragliding and other Indonesian sports.

no Dragon boat, NEVER !

no bodybuilding I know some countries (including Iran) are pushing for that.

and no E-sports.

Edited by MHSN

Just now, nitinsanker said:

I also see the same trend in trying to drop all the high weight events in Boxing , karate and weight lifting which  would have hit Iran the worst .... but the succeeded in boxing which is shameful ...... a core event in a core sport  ;-( .......... these guys are idiots and this will never help them become a good sporting nation ....... I estimate we lost at least 5 golds due to the changes , primarily in team sports in shooting as well as compound archery 

I think part of the blame for the success in dropping boxing weights also lies with AIBA.

Boxing is likely to have reduced number of categories at Tokyo in order to make room for more women's categories. AIBA is fighting it and nothing is finalized. I am not sure but it might be the only sport where the events for Tokyo 2020 are not yet finalized.

Now, of course, the heaviest 3 categories won't just be dropped in Tokyo but Indonesia got to take advantage of the uncertainty as no one knows at the moment which category is an olympic event and which is not..

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Speaking of the program. this is the way I like it

all Olympic events. plus full program in Taekwondo, Wrestling and Weightlifting, even though with Wrestling and Weightlifting having so many non-Olympic weights it will be hard to have all of them. 10 weights in wrestling is probably too much. but Taekwondo should have all 8 weights and NO poomsae. I also prefer a bigger program in shooting.

I also like the full program in Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton and Squash. having "team event" in those sports is something traditional for the AG. they also can expend Track Cycling or Canoeing program.

Sepaktakraw (only regu event, not some crazy new events like Quad or doubles)

Kabaddi

Wushu

Bowling (only 4 events, no more)

Baseball/Softball (I don't like it myself but it has enough popularity in some Asian countries)

I like Sport Climbing as a core sport. with full program, not that weird combined event.

I like cue sports back in the Games, with 4 or 6 events only. not a big program.

about Cricket. only if top nations like India, Pakistan etc bring their best players, otherwise NO

no Soft tennis. that's a stupid idea

no Kurash, no Jujitsu, no Sambo, no paragliding and other Indonesian sports.

no Dragon boat, NEVER !

no bodybuilding I know some countries (including Iran) are pushing for that.

and no E-sports.

I would add compound events in Archery in this.