website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship 2021

hckošice

30 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Did Latvia get rid of one of the two arenas that hosted in 2006?

Skonto Riga has 6.500 capacity. IIHF conditions of hosting World Championship is 1 arena with +10.000 and 1 arena with +8.000 capacities

However the logic to strictly pay attention to it during a covid pandemic when very likely the tournament will be held without spectators is kinda weird though I admit..

maybe it is trully some "hidden" Fasel vendetta via Latvia

Just now, hckosice said:

Skonto Riga has 6.500 capacity. IIHF conditions of hosting World Championship is 1 arena with +10.000 and 1 arena with +8.000 capacities

However the logic to strictly pay attention to it during a covid pandemic when very likely the tournament will be held without spectators is kinda weird though I admit..

Makes 0 sense when there will likely be no spectators and why was this arena okay in 2006?

17 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I’m now virtually 100% certain that’s what it is. Fasel is such an ass. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m now virtually 100% certain that’s what it is. Fasel is such an ass. 

yeah, well, who know what is exactly behind it. Maybe Lukashenko in sort of agreement reciprocally agreed to lost the hosting rights in favor of some further compensations but at the same time refused to send BLR team to Latvia if the tournament would be only there...but it is just my conspiracy me thinking about it off course, which is certainly not true :p

However, that is a heck of weird situation now. IIHF insist the tournament to be played, they cannot afford to cancel another tournament. There a lot of money involved from the sponsors like infront and Škoda on the table. So the tournament will be held at any cost, they will even go so far they already promised to reimburse all the costs for the tournament.

Now they just have to find if SVK or DEN will agree to host the whole tourney without spectators, which is obviously not exactly very profitable for any of the countries.

new twist...

According to some rumors, from :LAT federation, Latvia is pretty confident to being choosen to host the wole tournament alone.

Apparently, according to a couple of their officials, yesterday the IIHF council was really close to select Riga as the only host of the tournament. Fasel wanted the tournament to be moved to Bratislava, but the majority of the council is more inclined in favor of Riga. Mainly after receiving informations and guarantee from the Latvian governement to cover all costs in converting the Olimpic Sports center in Riga which is located only a couple of meters from the other stadium Riga Arena.

The IIHF delegation is even considered to move by tomorrow to Riga to clarify last technical details.

everything seems to be decided. The IIHF delegation arrived in Riga this morning and discussed the latest technical details with the Latvian government, which again reassured observers about their interest of hosting the whole tournament and guarantee of covering all costs for the preparation of the temporary second arena, which will be the Olympic Sports Center in Riga.

The :LAT Federation president according to his words, is more than convinced, "citing sources and information from several IIHF leaders", that the complete tournament will be held in Latvia.

and rumors are claiming that now is everything almost confirmed.

IIHF will apparently tomorrow select Latvia as the official and sole host of the WCh, with the second group played in the Olympic Sports Center in Riga which will be temporarily covered for the tournament.

This will also allow the creation of only one special and compact bubble.