website statistics

Beach Volleyball FIVB World Championships 2022

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

All 4 brazilian women's pairs at the same quadrant of the draw, meaning only one can reach semifinals - except that they have to defeat Pavan/Melissa :wall:

Chances for a medal before the start of this championship were low, and now they pratically null.

BTW, don't know if anyone is watching this, but sadly attendance seems extremely low, to the point that in some matches looks like there's no one in the stands. Very different atmosphere from the last world championships (one could blame the pandemic, but even recent World Tour stages had more people).

Anyway, I hope we see a better attendance now in the knockout phase.

19 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

All 4 brazilian women's pairs at the same quadrant of the draw, meaning only one can reach semifinals - except that they have to defeat Pavan/Melissa :wall:

Chances for a medal before the start of this championship were low, and now they pratically null.

Yeah, that's a strong quadrant. Hoping for Pavan/Melissa to make it through, but they could easily lose at any round.

Also cheering for the McNamara twins, always felt they can have a breakout year at any time.

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

BTW, don't know if anyone is watching this, but sadly attendance seems extremely low, to the point that in some matches looks like there's no one in the stands. Very different atmosphere from the last world championships (one could blame the pandemic, but even recent World Tour stages had more people).

Anyway, I hope we see a better attendance now in the knockout phase.

I don't watch beach volleyball outside the Olympics, but this is being shown on TV here, so i caught a couple of matches. And yeah, the empty stands is what stood out. And it's not like they are half empty or 2/3rds, stands are completely empty. And it's Rome. I know beach volleyball is not that prominent, but come on...

it's Italy (no promotion of the event at all, since it's covered by our public tv, the worst in the world when it comes to promoting their sport events) + it's Rome (where people only follow non-football events when it gets glamourous, which is not the BBV case) + it's the early stages + it's beach volleyball (not one of the top tier sports in Italy when it comes to the TV/stadium audience) + day games are played under really difficult weather conditions (35+ degrees) + these days, the evening is always full of football matches on tv...

I hope from tonight's session and in the weekend's final phase a lot more people would eventually show up...

but unless the Italian males go through to the semis at least, I doubt we're going to see a sellout crowd...

p.s. Rome is the worst place in Italy to have this kind of sports' global events...it's a good place only for Football, Athletics and Swimming (and only if the Italian athletes are expected to do well)...