website statistics

Swimming 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

a few interesting results in the US Trials for the upcoming World Champs...

above all, Katie Ledecky swimming her fastest 800m free race since 2018 (8.09.27) and Caeleb Dressel swimming the fastest time of the season (even if just a few hundreds of a second faster than Burras and Miressi), 47.79...

Full recap of day #1, here:

https://swimswam.com/2022-u-s-world-championship-trials-day-1-finals-live-recap/

3 hours ago, dullard said:

Was expecting more than a 1:55 from Ledecky in the 200 after that very impressive 800.

So did her, wasn't happy at all with that swim. But the meet is kinda all her meets this season so far: amazing in the longer events, still great but not at her best in the shorter ones and better at the start than the end.

The 400 will be the key race, after going 4:01 in the first half of the 800, anything but a sub 4:00 would be a dissapointment.

Btw, world record holder Regan Smith once again 3rd and out in the 200 back.

10 hours ago, dullard said:

Was expecting more than a 1:55 from Ledecky in the 200 after that very impressive 800.

I think she has recognized Titmus and Haughey's superiority on this distance and she focused more on the middle and longer distances, where she has more chances to beat Ariarne (Siobhan not being a factor in the races longer than 200m).

I guess she only wanted to get a place in the 4*200m relay, rather than challenging the Australian and the woman from HKG...

however, it was another interesting night with a few very close competitions (200m breast and back, especially)...

here's the full recap of last night's action:

https://swimswam.com/2022-u-s-world-championship-trials-day-2-finals-live-recap/

5 hours ago, phelps said:

I think she has recognized Titmus and Haughey's superiority on this distance and she focused more on the middle and longer distances, where she has more chances to beat Ariarne (Siobhan not being a factor in the races longer than 200m).

I guess she only wanted to get a place in the 4*200m relay, rather than challenging the Australian and the woman from HKG...

however, it was another interesting night with a few very close competitions (200m breast and back, especially)...

here's the full recap of last night's action:

https://swimswam.com/2022-u-s-world-championship-trials-day-2-finals-live-recap/

Titmus won't race at worlds, though. I think McIntosh will be a factor in this race.

1 hour ago, NMQ said:

Titmus won't race at worlds, though. I think McIntosh will be a factor in this race.

yeah, but I think Ledecky is thinking about the next Olympics already (and they will face each other at the Pan-Pacs in any case)...

we all know that the Americans are used to underestimate the world champs, they only care about the relays when it's an olympic qualifier...

I guess KL has already started to focus on what will be her main program in Paris...

and I don't think McIntosh will focus too much on the 200m free, also...

imho, she's way better in the 400m free/200m fly/200m IM in perspective...

she might be another girl using the 200m free more as a prep event and for relay purposes rather than really focusing on that race...

7 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, but I think Ledecky is thinking about the next Olympics already (and they will face each other at the Pan-Pacs in any case)...

No Pan Pacs until 2026 because this year's was cancelled. Maybe they'll meet at Duel in the Pool or Short Course Worlds otherwise it won't be until next year.

:LTU Lithuanian team announced for World Championships:

• Kotryna Tetervkova - Women's 50m Breaststroke, 100m Breaststroke, 200m Breaststroke
  • Rūta Meilutytė - Women's 50m Breaststroke, 100m Breaststroke
  • Danas Rapšys - Men's 200m Freestyle, 400m Freestyle, Men's 4x100m Medley Relay
  • Andrius Šidlauskas - Men's 100m Breaststroke, 200m Breaststroke, Men's 4x100m Medley Relay
  • Tomas Navikonis - Men's 4x100m Medley Relay
  • Deividas Margevičius- Men's 4x100m Medley Relay
  • TBC - Men's 100m Backstroke

Chinese trials for WCH and Asian Games were reportedly cancelled after an unspecified date suspension due to Shanghai Covid lockdown. What I currently learnt is that federation will directly select some swimmers who already met the FINA standards to form the national team. TBH I am not sure if  China will send the team to WCH and the priority goes to Asian Games at home.