website statistics

Judo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The qualification window for Judo opened at the end of June and so far there have been 8 qualifying events staged - 2 Grand Slams, 1 Grand Prix and 5 Continental Opens. Annoyingly, the IJF haven't got their act together for the last couple of months and they haven't been publishing the Olympic Ranking list on their website. 

Because the actual ranking is too useless because have only 2 GS, 1 Grand Prix and 2 World Championship 

Also the fun fact, zero Senior World Championship have full point for Paris 2024, unless if 2024 have World Championship (ijf already confirmed the intentions held a World Championship in olympics years)

• 3 weeks later...

Ahead of next week's World Championship, and for those interested, I have updated my tracker projecting current ranking qualification status to show results of all events up to 30th September (including Junior World Champs)

image.png

Individually, :USA were the biggest gainers over the course of the last month, with the latest projection showing them picking up 5 additional quotas with both :ITA and :TUR gaining 3. 

:GBR and :CHN were the biggest losers, dropping 4 and 3 quotas respectively. In both cases, the drop in quotas was predominantly due to their men dropping back in the overall rankings.

As a result of their men falling back, both :GBR and :CHN are no longer projected to qualify for the team event. They are replaced by :ITA :USA :CUB and :UZB

With the World Champs and the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam taking place next month, we could potentially see some big changes in the rankings in the next few weeks. 

Interesting that Tsoutlasvili is currently the only Greek qualified. I'm not really expecting him to make it but he's only 20 yo so it would be nice.

Teltsidou who was 7th in Tokyo really needs to get her act together, she's 33rd in the rankings for women's 70 kg.

Her and Tselidis are the ones I expect to qualify to Paris. Small chance to Karakazidi and I guess Tsoutlasvili as well. 

It seems that Azoidis is retired which is a shame as he is only 29, and Ntanatsidis seems to have retired after competing in Tokyo which is also a shame as he was only 28 then and is 29 now.

I hoped to have 3-4 judoka in Paris but it seems very unlikely now. We might not even have any...

• 1 month later...

So finally, the IJF seem to have updated their website to include Olympic rankings. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be able to actually manage the process of updating the rankings correctly so here's my take on the position as at the end of October. 

This month's ranking update includes the World Champs, the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam and the Perth Continental Open:

image.png

For the most part, nations were fairly flat in terms of their qualification numbers this month, either picking up or dropping one weight class. 

:USA saw biggest movement on the downside, shedding 6 places whilst the unwinding of :RUS positions continues as they drop 4. 

:SRB were the biggest gainers this month, picking up 5 spots whilst :SLO picked up 4. 

In the team event, :GER and :SRB now qualify whilst :KAZ and :USA would not.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I updated my judo qualification matrix, partly because I thought the IJF had got their act together and were updating their website but they are still awarding Grand Prix points to the Perth Oceania Open which is throwing their numbers out (in my opinion).

image.png

From a :GBR perspective, the women are continuing to lead the way for the squad and are in strong positions - ranked within the top 6 - in 3 of the 5 weight divisions (52Kg, 63Kg & 78Kg classes). For the other 2, their position is a little more precarious and they could fall out of qualifying spot over the next month or so. 

On the men's side, only Lachlan Moorhead is currently holding a qualifying spot. Despite a decent performance in Portugal, Jemal Petgrave dropped out of the qualifying positions and is now about 30 points adrift of the final automatic qualifying position. 

In terms of the team event, since I last ran the simulation in November, :CUBwould drop out of the team event as would :RUSand :UZB.

:ESP would qualify a berth in the team event. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...