website statistics

Football 2020 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

7 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I think every professional league should be able to finish their season, with maybe the exception of Italy. France, Belgium, Netherlands jumped the gun.. 

No they didn't, since it simply wasn't up to the league. They could want whatever they wanted, it wasn't up to them: events* are not allowed until 1 September.

*meaning everything one needs an 'event license' for, including professional football

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think it's May 9th ... ?

Apparently the plan is to test all the people who are going to be in the stadium before every game, which would mean that they need roughly 20k tests to finish the season.

Some people in Germany said that they couldn't do it, because other people need the tests more, but from what i can tell Germany currently can test 800k to 850k people a week and there are a lot of free capacities (not surprising when you only have 1000 - 2000 new infections every day), so they wouldn't take anything away from anyone. It has been said that the Bundesliga would lose around 700 million € if they would end the season now, so economically speaking it for sure would be great news if they could finish the season.

Aren't you a fan of Bayern Munich? If that's the case ... how do you feel about possible signings for the new season (Upamecano, Sane, Dest)?

i think overall Germany wants to resume life back and it's more logic depending on the strategy the German Government used to contain the virus which really worked out , for Bayern it had been a while since Bayern really signed a world class player , so my expectations isn't that high , out of this triple i prefer Sane , Sane is a great talent yeah he didn't play for a season maybe , but ofc he can be very useful for the team , but will bayern pay 100 M for him or at least 80 for him that would be hard , Upamecano is a good sign also if it happened especially that we really need a central defender and it should be one of the top priorities , Timo Werner would be a great sign but unfortunately bayern isn't able anymore to sign big names playing in Bundesliga anymore and i think that he prefers to go to Liverpool hopefully UCL would be back i think Bayern has really a good shot in winning it this season 

2 hours ago, thepharoah said:

i think overall Germany wants to resume life back and it's more logic depending on the strategy the German Government used to contain the virus which really worked out , for Bayern it had been a while since Bayern really signed a world class player , so my expectations isn't that high , out of this triple i prefer Sane , Sane is a great talent yeah he didn't play for a season maybe , but ofc he can be very useful for the team , but will bayern pay 100 M for him or at least 80 for him that would be hard , Upamecano is a good sign also if it happened especially that we really need a central defender and it should be one of the top priorities , Timo Werner would be a great sign but unfortunately bayern isn't able anymore to sign big names playing in Bundesliga anymore and i think that he prefers to go to Liverpool hopefully UCL would be back i think Bayern has really a good shot in winning it this season 

1) Coutinho or Hernandez weren't world-class players for you last season?

2) Sane's contract only lasts one more year, so there is absolutely no way that Bayern will pay 80M or even 100M for him, 50M would be the absolute max in my opinion.

3) How does Bayern really need a central defender? Alaba has played great this season, Süle will come back soon and then they also have Hernandez and Pavard. If there is one position were Bayern doesn't need to sign a new player, then it is central defender (and maybe a left back).

4) Bayern easily could have had Werner last season and i think they still could have him if they wanted, but the truth is that they don't need him. Up front they already have Lewandowski (who is obviously better than Werner) and Werner can't play as a number 10 or a winger. Werner would be completely unnecessary (which sadly doesn't mean that Bayern would buy him). Havertz would make much more sense position-wise. I am still convinced that Bayern can still get most Bundesliga players if they wanted to (it is looking good with Upamecano and Havertz from what i can tell), but the truth is that there aren't many players in the Bundesliga that could help to reach their goal of winning the Champions. I think Sancho is the only player in the Bundesliga that could improve their team right now. Bayern needs a right back/central midfielder (depending on where Kimmich will play), a new goalkeeper (when Neuer retires), a number 10 and a at least new winger. Currently there is no goalkeeper/right back in the Bundesliga who is world-class or could become world-class soon. The only central midfielder who could become world-class in my opinion is Zakaria and the only number 10 who could become world-class is Havertz, so those 3 (Havertz, Zakaria, Sancho) would be good signings in my opinion, but sadly Sancho is out of reach for Bayern.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Coutinho or Hernandez weren't world-class players for you last season?

2) Sane's contract only lasts one more year, so there is absolutely no way that Bayern will pay 80M or even 100M for him, 50M would be the absolute max in my opinion.

3) How does Bayern really need a central defender? Alaba has played great this season, Süle will come back soon and then they also have Hernandez and Pavard. If there is one position were Bayern doesn't need to sign a new player, then it is central defender (and maybe a left back).

4) Bayern easily could have had Werner last season and i think they still could have him if they wanted, but the truth is that they don't need him. Up front they already have Lewandowski (who is obviously better than Werner) and Werner can't play as a number 10 or a winger. Werner would be completely unnecessary (which sadly doesn't mean that Bayern would buy him). Havertz would make much more sense position-wise. I am still convinced that Bayern can still get most Bundesliga players if they wanted to (it is looking good with Upamecano and Havertz from what i can tell), but the truth is that there aren't many players in the Bundesliga that could help to reach their goal of winning the Champions. I think Sancho is the only player in the Bundesliga that could improve their team right now. Bayern needs a right back/central midfielder (depending on where Kimmich will play), a new goalkeeper (when Neuer retires), a number 10 and a at least new winger. Currently there is no goalkeeper/right back in the Bundesliga who is world-class or could become world-class soon. The only central midfielder who could become world-class in my opinion is Zakaria and the only number 10 who could become world-class is Havertz, so those 3 (Havertz, Zakaria, Sancho) would be good signings in my opinion, but sadly Sancho is out of reach for Bayern.

Based on what Hernández is a world class player? For Coutinho bases on what also Coutinho when he came from Barcelona is a world class I don't get it . For me this Sule isn't a defender for Germany and Bayern he's really slow,  boating days has ended from 3 years at least,  Alaba will not be really useful as a central defender against a world class team when it really matters in Champions league 

30 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Based on what Hernández is a world class player? For Coutinho bases on what also Coutinho when he came from Barcelona is a world class I don't get it . For me this Sule isn't a defender for Germany and Bayern he's really slow,  boating days has ended from 3 years at least,  Alaba will not be really useful as a central defender against a world class team when it really matters in Champions league 

1) I am not saying that Coutinho or Hernandez were definitely world-class when they joined Bayern, it is up for debate. Hernandez always played for Atlético and France, Coutinho is a world-class player for me, but he isn‘t playing world-class football the last couple of years.

2) Süle is the best german central defender when he isn’t injured, maybe apart from Rüdiger. He will play for the German national team for a long time, he wasn‘t great under Kovac, but who was (apart from Lewandowski) ...? He seems slow because he is so tall and bulky, but once he gets rolling he is pretty fast.

3) Boateng has been great recently under Flick, I would say at the moment (with Süle injured) he definitely is a top 2 central defender in Germany. 
4) Apparently you haven’t watched many Bayern games recently? Alaba has been phenomenal recently, he easily has been a top 5 central defender in the world this year. Bayern completely dominated Chelsea with him, so I don’t know which world class teams you are talking about? He is perfect for the Bayern game because he is very fast and his build-up game is superb for a central defender.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Official decisions on the return of leagues as of 30 April:

– France – cancelled
– Netherlands – cancelled
– Czechia – 25 May
– Poland – 29 May
– Portugal – 30 May
– Switzerland – 8 June

Denmark planning for 29 May

It seems as good as certain the Bundesliga will resume in the second half of May. I hope all these big football federations and clubs, who find themselves so important, won't try and get hundreds and hundreds of tests that are needed for people who actually need it, instead of to let football get underway again..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It seems as good as certain the Bundesliga will resume in the second half of May. I hope all these big football federations and clubs, who find themselves so important, won't try and get hundreds and hundreds of tests that are needed for people who actually need it, instead of to let football get underway again..

Don’t know which clubs you are talking about, but in Germany that certainly isn’t a problem. There are far more than enough test in Germany for everyone who needs them. Some laboratories even had to close because there wasn’t enough tests to conduct anymore. Germany currently can conduct more than 800k test per week, only seems logical that not all of them are needed when there are less than 1000 new cases every day. The Bundesliga even said that if the tests will be need elsewhere, they will without a doubt immediately stop the league again and not ask for any more tests. 

On topic: The league will start on May 15th or May 22th according to Merkel, it is up to the league to choose the date. Before every matchday all players and staff will be tested. The league already conducted their first round of testing and apparently out of the more than 1700 tests „only“ 10 were positive.