website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2021 (Giro d'Italia)

Totallympics

14 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Big 4* mountain day today. Shaping up like a day where the GC riders reserve their efforts for the last 2km & the breakaway / easy KoM points guys are granted a soft win. Will be happy to be wrong.

The gravel sections could make it more interesting among the GC riders, but I'm pretty sure that the breakaway will take the win.

45 minutes ago, Agger said:

The gravel sections could make it more interesting among the GC riders, but I'm pretty sure that the breakaway will take the win.

It is breaking up, GC riders into a group of about 20 already, so more of a classics day. Ganna working hard for Bernal.

Ineos have gapped Evenepoel, Yates, Carthy, Vlasov etc by 30 secs!  50km to go.

All back together for now, more fun to come.  Lots of supporting riders straggling.

Evenepoel getting gapped on the gravel again, having to work hard to get back on.  Got no support left.  Bernal himself driving the group.

That’s going to be it for Evenepoel & the overall, I reckon. Also losing time to Attila the Hungarian in the not-very-white jersey race.  50 secs down & has about 20k to go.  Plenty gravel & climbing to come today.

What’s funny is that two guys at the front have immaculate clean shirts, everyone else looks like they have been mining coal.

Evenepoel struggling on the climbs now, as well as the gravel.  Over two minutes to Bernal now.

Bernal now on a solo attack, everyone else suffering.

Schmid :SUI gets a debut-year win.

I love when they put a "classic" style stage in the GTs. One of my favourite wins ever was Cadel Evans winning a similar stage in the Giro about 10 years ago.

Carnage on GC even if Dan Martin came out worst. Hopefully frees him up to hunt stages now

Too bad the peloton made such a mess of it yesterday. Come on, the stage of the year, fans and a good amount of riders have been looking forward to this for months, and then the peloton just gives the stage win away to a group of enthousiastic unknowns in the first few kilometers without even trying anymore :( 

It was fun when the peloton hit the gravel roads of course, but it was a bit disappointing to see the likes of Schmid and Covi battle for the win in a stage like this. And that's nothing against Schmid and Covi, by the way, they are excellent riders, I'd just hoped to see the best of the best do battle like on these roads in 2010 (when it was even a million times better because of mud instead of dust :p).

Too bad Dan Martin and Davide Formolo were the main losers of the day. Then again, that means they'll have to attack in the mountains, especially Formolo could try something.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh and interesting to see war has broken out in Lefevere's team :d 

Almeida really made a mess of things. He might as well just have stuck up his middle finger and be done with it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!