website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

1 hour ago, dodge said:

The final rankings for 50km walk will be announced tomorrow

Even then there will be some who decline a spot as there will be a few who have 20km and 50km spots who will decline one

Will there be additional qualifiers from the world rankings for the 50k?

11 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Will there be additional qualifiers from the world rankings for the 50k?

Yes 38 have the standard and 60 is the limit so likely 22 from the rankings 

Oh and this is why I caution anyone on handing on quotas... :IRL Alex Wright (for example) has the 20km time and is in the ranks for the 50km. WIth both events happening within 24 hours of each other in Tokyo, he'll likely choose the 20km, freeing up a spot at 50km.  I'd assume this is the case for multiple walkers, and multiple nations for both events

Jacksonville,USA

:JAM Erriyon Knighton 20.11

I know there are many Jamaicans with the qualifying time but this is significant.

Knighton is 17 years old and his time breaks the world U18 200m record.

This record was previously held by a runner called Usain Bolt who you might have heard of.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Yes 38 have the standard and 60 is the limit so likely 22 from the rankings 

Oh and this is why I caution anyone on handing on quotas... :IRL Alex Wright (for example) has the 20km time and is in the ranks for the 50km. WIth both events happening within 24 hours of each other in Tokyo, he'll likely choose the 20km, freeing up a spot at 50km.  I'd assume this is the case for multiple walkers, and multiple nations for both events

If a country has more than one athlete meeting the ranking requirement but they do not have the qualification time can both/all three be selected by the respective NOC if they so wish or are they limited to one?

5 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

If a country has more than one athlete meeting the ranking requirement but they do not have the qualification time can both/all three be selected by the respective NOC if they so wish or are they limited to one?

You are allowed to have 3 athlets in each individual event, it does not matter if all 3 are with qualifying standards or all 3 via ranking or 1-2 or 2-1. So yes even if you have 1 athlete qualified directly you can add 2 if they are in the cut-off in the ranking

11 minutes ago, hckošice said:

You are allowed to have 3 athlets in each individual event, it does not matter if all 3 are with qualifying standards or all 3 via ranking or 1-2 or 2-1. So yes even if you have 1 athlete qualified directly you can add 2 if they are in the cut-off in the ranking

Thanks for that. So just to clarify you could enter three athletes through the rankings even if none of them have the qualification time.

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

Thanks for that. So just to clarify you could enter three athletes through the rankings even if none of them have the qualification time.

Exactly. Although I’m not sure if that case exists anywhere. Most of the countries who can qualify 3 athletes in an event will probably have one in on time!

29 minutes ago, dodge said:

Exactly. Although I’m not sure if that case exists anywhere. Most of the countries who can qualify 3 athletes in an event will probably have one in on 

Thanks. You're probably right although at least one country has two in the top 60 without a qualification time.

I was told by World Athletics that, if a country has athletes qualifying by the time and by the world rankings. they may choose the athletes who qualified via the world rankings instead of those who qualify via time.

For instance if someone who only qualified via world rankings finished in the top 3 at the US trials.