website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

15 minutes ago, Vivek said:

All 12 shooters are medal prospect. 2 from women Archery, 3 in badminton, 1 in hockey, 3 wrestlers, 2 boxers. 

I am calling them medal contender s because in life " form is temporary whereas class is permanent." They all have proven in past that on their day, they have class to win medal at any stage. I hope at rio maximum will have their day. Hope for the best. 

except these there are deepa in gymnestic 1 in weightlifting an d 1-2 in  tennis also but there are no hope of 3 medal in bedimnton ..you can say 2 but 3 impossible

8 minutes ago, rohan sharma said:

except these there are deepa in gymnestic 1 in weightlifting an d 1-2 in  tennis also but there are no hope of 3 medal in bedimnton ..you can say 2 but 3 impossible

These are medal prospects not predictions. We should win 1 medal for every 3-4 prospects. So, with only 20-25 medal prospects we would need extraordinary performance to win 10 medals.

48 minutes ago, Partha_SG said:

Sorry to say we have been participating in large numbers in athletics for such a long time. What has changed? A few stars come up from time to time but nothing changes. I don't think anyone should be sent unless they cross the A qualification mark. Look at shooting wrestling even badminton. Boxing. There our Olympians are mostly true competitors pushing for medals. Only few of them will win but most have potential too. That has to be differentiated from the no hopers in athletics table tennis etc where we have been participating for a long time without anything tangible. This nehruvian idea of participation is better than winning has led us here. So many nations have much smaller contingents and are so much poorer than us still win more medals. For a lowdown on that - check out the GDP based medal tally.

In Athletics, we have had 11 new NR's in the last 2.5 months, that is what has changed, we can qualify even in 100m, that thought has changed, we have a bigger contingent in TT, which has also changed, in TT we won the 2nd Division world championship in both men and women category this year and qualified for the 1st division, again what has changed.

13 minutes ago, rohan sharma said:

Weightlifting - no one is a medal contender. Can win medal in exceptional conditions

49 minutes ago, Partha_SG said:

Sorry to say we have been participating in large numbers in athletics for such a long time. What has changed? A few stars come up from time to time but nothing changes. I don't think anyone should be sent unless they cross the A qualification mark. Look at shooting wrestling even badminton. Boxing. There our Olympians are mostly true competitors pushing for medals. Only few of them will win but most have potential too. That has to be differentiated from the no hopers in athletics table tennis etc where we have been participating for a long time without anything tangible. This nehruvian idea of participation is better than winning has led us here. So many nations have much smaller contingents and are so much poorer than us still win more medals. For a lowdown on that - check out the GDP based medal tally.

I have mixed feelings about restricting participation. When AFI had our own qualification standard for CWG and Asian Games, I had opposed the move as I believe we need to encourage more participation, with an aim of better performance in future. But have to admit, situation has indeed improved since then. This time all of our athletes (17) are qualifying with A standards. 

Agree about need for change in mentality. 

4 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Weightlifting - no one is a medal contender. Can win medal in exceptional conditions

Tirtha, Mirabai has a chance right? she has lifted 192kg, expecting 194kg lift from her, that should give her at least 50% chance of a medal.

18 minutes ago, rohan sharma said:

They are only contenders for medal. Not predicting medal numbers. Final tally may reach 10.

4 minutes ago, Dolby said:

I have mixed feelings about restricting participation. When AFI had our own qualification standard for CWG and Asian Games, I had opposed the move as I believe we need to encourage more participation, with an aim of better performance in future. But have to admit, situation has indeed improved since then. This time all of our athletes (17) are qualifying with A standards. 

Agree about need for change in mentality. 

Btw, just missed this point, there are no B Standards in Athletics this time, all have qualified in A standard only.

12 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

Tirtha, Mirabai has a chance right? she has lifted 192kg, expecting 194kg lift from her, that should give her at least 50% chance of a medal.

Yes 194 is borderline score for getting a bronze medal