website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Good photo of some of the actual protesters instead of rioters. One of the police officers got separated and these people stood around him to keep the....let's say less restrained people on the streets away.

SoJ3Pqd.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Lahestan to be accurate, actually if someone uses the word Poland/Polska I'm sure 99% will react like what ?, where is that ?! West of Africa ? :p

and yeah, we call some other countries with different names. and I can't see a clear pattern, some of the names we use are French (like Belgium/Belgique, Germany/Allemagne, Switzerland/Suisse) some are Arabic (Egypt/Mesr, Comoros/Qamar, Jordan/Ordon, Greece/Yunan) and some of them  are just different even though Poland is probably a unique case, I don't think any other country officially use the name Lachistan/Lahestan ! but I'm sure for example we are not the only one calling Netherlands as simply "Holland" !

we also enjoy to add -estan/-istan at the end of country names :p Bulgaria/Bolgarestan. Serbia/Serbestan, Armenia/Armanestan and there are lots of examples.

In my memory Persian called China "Qin" or sound like "Chin", it's the name of a of very remote ancient dynasty of China around 2000 years ago. Oldest name of all languages I guess.

6 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

It's my first time to hear a Bakersfield news for past 10 years. I spent a summer vacation there at 108 degree temperature when I was 16 and feeling weird that once again hearing this city name is because of riot.:facepalm:

It’s one of the two worst towns in California. TV shows in the U.S. use as a punch for “things could be worse.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Trump has basically told his supporters to rally at the White House tonight. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some violent clashes, if protestors show up again. Trump’s been really good at just grabbing full tanks of gasoline, and throwing them right on that fire.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 29/05/2020 at 07:11, Vic Liu said:

If it's in China, government will immediately arrest the policemen and make them apologize in public to get forgiveness of victims' family. I also think it's the most effective and efficient solution, why not the government do so? If the policemen proved innocent, they can be released after this issue over. 

Thanks for the laugh ...

The American democracy is in a pretty bad state, but still far better than the Chinese „democracy“ ever was. Also:

1) What value does an apology have when it is a forced apology?

2) So the policeman should apologize before he was even found guilty/before there was any chance to determine whether his actions were the reason for the victim‘s death?

I get why people think that this is the „most effective and efficient“ solution in states like China or Saudi Arabia (this reminds me of Khashoggi‘s family members publicly „forgiving“ his killers and therefore allowing the state not to sentence them to death, after receiving multiple million dollars worth of compensation by the state ...), but in western countries it usually doesn’t work like this. 

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 29/05/2020 at 07:44, Olympian1010 said:

There’s no innocent policemen. They have beaten and killed black people in various ways for hundreds of years in this country. Even today, police acted like thugs and broke up peaceful protest outside of Minnesota. We have allowed them to escape consequences, and become too powerful over minorities.

Also, I don’t think forced apologies are going to solve this situation...

You need to calm down and get a clear head. As Long as you are only saying this nonsense on a forum like this, it isn’t a problem, but I hope you don’t voice those opinions in public.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 29/05/2020 at 08:53, heywoodu said:

Yes, a right to be pissed - like I had already said in exactly the post you quoted. Not a right to burn down the city and use this as an opportunity for nothing else but stealing stuff and destroying other people's property. They are indeed very much messing up George Floyd's memory with this.

How are they messing up his memory? If people „blame“ this on him, then it is their fault. I have no clue who this guy was and what he did, but if someone holds him accountable for something that he had no influence on, then it is just stupid.

I don’t like to say this, but I think Trump has a point. Social media sites should be held accountable for helping to spread hate speech. Of course a consequence would be that many of Trump‘s tweets would have to be deleted.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

You need to calm down and get a clear head. As Long as you are only saying this nonsense on a forum like this, it isn’t a problem, but I hope you don’t voice those opinions in public.

Everything I said in that particular post is defended by our free speech laws.