website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

Not too surprising. Prize money at the Olympics was eventually going to happen. Hopefully, it will be the IOC that takes the initiative eventually.

This might help encourage some tennis players to take part, though 50k isn't a lot. That's around what the winner gets for a 250 event. Still better than nothing (including no ranking points).

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not too surprising. Prize money at the Olympics was eventually going to happen. Hopefully, it will be the IOC that takes the initiative eventually.

This might help encourage some tennis players to take part, though 50k isn't a lot. That's around what the winner gets for a 250 event. Still better than nothing (including no ranking points).

I know this is a very heavily Americanized point of view, but they're probably looking at what's going on with the NCAA and how the athletes are starting to get their share of the money that is being made and figure that needs to start happening with the Olympics.  The days of amateurism are long gone and the prestige of winning an Olympic medal shouldn't be the only reward coming from the IOC (as opposed to payouts from the respective NOCs)

This thread provides a peak at some of the Nike sponsored uniforms for this summer.

Kenya will ditch the honeycomb look it seems.

I like the color splotch pattern for the track uniforms, but I wish they differed a bit between nation (in terms of orientation).

:USA skateboard uniforms continue to be quite different for other sports. I think these are good, but I’m interested in what the athletes think.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

54 minutes ago, bestmen said:

LOL in paris only Gold medalists will get money ....silver and bronze will get silver and bronze :thumbdown:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/10/sport/world-athletics-prize-money-paris-olympics-gold-spt-intl

No more ties for gold in high jump / pole vault :P

(I don't actually think the money difference will matter, but still funny to think this will be a factor now - I'm assuming if there is a tie for gold the prize money will be split)

32 minutes ago, bestmen said:

After all that bad press predicting disaster at Rio, it will be a bit curious if something like this happens in Paris.

I wonder if they would not do something to get a good water result in the previous days and go forward.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:46 PM, Quaker2001 said:

I know this is a very heavily Americanized point of view, but they're probably looking at what's going on with the NCAA and how the athletes are starting to get their share of the money that is being made and figure that needs to start happening with the Olympics.  The days of amateurism are long gone and the prestige of winning an Olympic medal shouldn't be the only reward coming from the IOC (as opposed to payouts from the respective NOCs)

Back in the 1880s & 90s when the Olympic movement was formed professional athletics existed, but it was notoriously corrupt & rigged so competing as an amateur was a guarantee of honour.  These days are long gone.